    or does it stay wide open? It seems like you would need it wide
    open to have enough light to see anything. But then you would be
    guessing at what it would look like at any smaller aperture.

    Peabody, Oct 22, 2009

  2. Peabody

    Ray Fischer Guest

    It stays wide open for maximum brightness but almost all SLRs have a
    button which lets you close down the aperture so that you can see the
    depth of field.

    Ray Fischer, Oct 22, 2009

  3. Both. The camera has a button which will close the apperture when
    pressed.
    And that's exactly why you got that button :)

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 22, 2009
  4. Peabody

    sam_d Guest

    Such are the joys of a good EVF. No longer am I crippled with the
    antiquated and dimmed-down and useless DOF-preview gymnastics required of
    an OVF. Now I see my DOF preview in real-time in fully lit conditions no
    matter the light-levels. I'd never go back to an OVF even if my life
    depended on it. I picked up my old SLR gear last year when moving it to a
    new storage spot and bothered to glance through the viewfinder. Even though
    that model of SLR was admired for having the brightest viewfinder display
    possible on any SLR camera ever made, I was appalled at the dim image I had
    put up with those many years of its useful life, compared to what I now
    enjoy in all my EVF equipped cameras. No pun intended, it literally is like
    night and day. When it comes to viewfinders on cameras it's so much nicer
    living in this century that gives you the vastly superior EVF option.

    sam_d, Oct 23, 2009
  5. Peabody

    sam_d Guest

    Not used very many cameras, eh?

    You might want to rethink handing out photography and camera advice with
    you having now displayed so little experience and knowledge about the
    field, as well as the operation and capabilities of the required equipment.

    The bit of egg is on your left-cheek this time. I think I see a smear of
    ketchup on your chin too that you left there yesterday. Better wipe them
    off. I bet it sucks to be so unaware of what you've spastically,
    ignorantly, and unknowingly smeared on your face in public; doesn't it.

    sam_d, Oct 23, 2009
  6. Peabody

    Bristolian Guest

    Just out of interest, because I am genuinely interested, which of the
    current crop of EVF cameras give a DOF preview? I'm looking to buy my
    grandson a camera for his birthday and that would be a nice feature to have.

    Bristolian, Oct 23, 2009
  7. Peabody

    Ofnuts Guest

    This is a fairly moot point on EVF cameras since their small sensors(*)
    gives them a large DOF anyway.

    (*) unless you are looking into the quite expensive four-thirds cameras
    that have both an EVF and a decent sensor size.

    Ofnuts, Oct 23, 2009
  8. You fell for another personality of our good old P&S troll.
    So the answer to your question is obviously a yes.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Oct 23, 2009
  9. Peabody

    Ray Fischer Guest

    You might want to check yourself into a mental health facility.

    Ray Fischer, Oct 24, 2009
  10. Peabody

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Doesn't work too well on a small and low-res LCD screen.

    Ray Fischer, Oct 24, 2009
  11. Peabody

    Bob Larter Guest

    Yep, although it'll show you what the scene looks like with the lens
    wide open.
    If your camera has it, that's where you use the DoF preview function.
    Wide open.
    Also correct. Again, if you're being picky, that's where you use the DoF
    preview. Personally, I know how my lenses work, so I can usually predict
    the results.

    Bob Larter, Oct 24, 2009
  12. Peabody

    Bob Larter Guest

    *snort!* EVFs have maybe 100th of the resolution of an OVF.

    Bob Larter, Oct 24, 2009
  13. Peabody

    Bob Larter Guest

    I shoot wide open so often that DoF preview would be pretty useless for me.

    Bob Larter, Oct 24, 2009
  14. Peabody

    Bob Larter Guest

    Pfft. What are 'normal purposes'?

    Bob Larter, Oct 24, 2009
  15. Peabody

    Bristolian Guest

    And you, my friend, might like to actually back-up the "facts" that you
    spout off. I'm still waiting for some examples of EVF cameras that give
    DoF previews ... but I'm not holding my breath.

    Bristolian, Oct 24, 2009
  16. Bona fide Trolls always want others to do their homework for them.

    Pay me. My time, and I'll give you a break, is $500/hour for you. I might
    then consider listing the information that you request. Information that is
    readily available by testing or buying any number of cameras in any store.
    All of my EVF equipped cameras provide an instant DOF preview on a
    half-shutter press. If you can't find one that does, you're lying. Or just
    another troll by another name. Which I already know you to be.

    Outing Trolls, Oct 24, 2009
  17. Peabody

    Guest Guest

    anything he does is normal, anything he doesn't is not. what other
    people do is irrelevant.

    Guest, Oct 24, 2009
  18. Peabody

    Ray Fischer Guest

    And the troll demands that others pay him to refute his lies.

    Ray Fischer, Oct 24, 2009
  19. Peabody

    Bristolian Guest

    Oy plonker. I was trying to demonstrate that dozy-bollock (aka sam_d)
    was talking out of his arse, just like you are. EVFs don't have the
    resolution to demonstrate anything more than you're pointing your camera
    at something. You can come back with all sorts of spurious information
    and data you like but as Mr Scott would say - ye kanna defy the laws of
    physics.

    Just because I disagree with you and have the intelligence, education
    and training to understand how opto-electronic devices work doesn't make
    me a troll.

    Bristolian, Oct 25, 2009
  20. You may have the education, but you most certainly do not have the
    experience with real cameras, cameras that do have a very useful DOF
    preview in their EVFs.

    That leaves everyone to believe you're nothing but another armchair
    photographer troll who has never touched a real camera in their lifetime.
    Just like all the rest of the trolls in these newsgroups. Making your
    sweeping generalizations based on a sad bit of information you happened to
    read elsewhere once.

    Until you find a camera in a store and see how well DOF preview works in an
    EVF equipped camera, then post your findings, I know you to be nothing more
    than an inexperienced armchair-photographer troll. You leave me no other
    choice.

    Because I *DO* know that all my EVF equipped cameras have a wonderful
    real-time DOF preview in the finder. That makes you either a liar or a
    troll. Take your pick.

    Outing Trolls, Oct 25, 2009