dual wan router, skype, love

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by glaird, Jun 18, 2006.

  1. glaird

    glaird Guest

    Hello,
    I have a friend who is located in the US and his wife is located in
    China. They communicate often--using Skype. His LAN is connected to
    the Internet via Comcast Cable and his wife has two broadband
    connections (I am not sure what type). This generally all works quite
    well for my friend except when there are problems with his cable
    connection.

    We are both EEs and as a result we have chatted about some sort of
    redundancy for his cable network connection. He would be open to
    bringing in some other form of Internet connection (e.g. DSL) and to
    buying a router if we could figure out how to make this work.

    I have read about dual wan routers that can be used to connect a LAN to
    the Internet via two different paths (e.g. cable and DSL). These
    devices will apparently load share the traffic across both paths when
    these paths are operating and will redirect all traffic to the
    operating path if either path fails. Each of these paths would have
    its own ISP supplied IP address at the router end.

    This sounds like a nifty device but I don't think that it will work
    with Skype (for seamless switchover in a path failure). It is my
    understanding that a Skype session on his local LAN machine will
    establish a P2P connection with its remote partner. The local router
    would do NAT on the packets from the LAN machine before sending them
    on. The remote Skype would be sending packets back to the IP address
    of the local router. These packets would be port/address translated
    before sending them on to the LAN machine. Since the remote Skype
    machine would be targeting a particular IP address, things would quit
    working if that path to the dual path router went down.

    It seems like my friend needs only one IP address but multiple routes
    to this address. I have checked to see if a person could register an
    IP address and apparently this is possible. I have also read that it
    is difficult to get packets routed to these individual addresses.
    Understandably ISPs and network administrators don't want to clutter
    their routing tables with individual addresses.

    So, I don't see a clever solution-but maybe someone cleverer than I
    might see one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks
    Greg Laird

    glaird, Jun 18, 2006