    layers? Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
    appreciated!

    -Gaiko

    gaikokujinkyofusho, Mar 15, 2005

  2. We should keep all your data on a hard drive, too. The 300GB drives are
    cheap and you can store them, too. Some quick math (scary for me) shows you
    can fit 75 DVD's on a 300GB drive. Not as cheap, but easy to access and then
    you have your data on two mediums. I'm going this route soon - I've got the
    drives I just need to start copying the DVD's to disc with my fingers
    crossed.

    Dave R knows who, Mar 15, 2005

  3. A agree but due to my exessive travel i am restricted to a laptop, I
    don't think 300gb internal drives are an option and 300gb externals are
    a bit pricy however you are totally right about a backup which is why I
    #1 keep copies of all my stuff on my Brothers exessivly large Raid 1
    setup (hes close to a terrabyte [does lots of multimedia] so he can
    spare the space) and #2 I have backup copies of my DVDs.

    It should be noted though that your calculation seems to be for 4.7GB
    disks, I am looking for dual-layer 8+GB disks which would just about
    cut the bulk in half (of what it would be for sigle layer disks).

    Cheers

    -Gaiko

    gaikokujinkyofusho, Mar 16, 2005
  4. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Robert Scott Guest

    Robert Scott, Mar 16, 2005
  5. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Ron Guest

    Just one addition to the excellent suggestion about high capacity hard
    drives: try to get a USB version or, if you can use a screwdriver, a
    simple USB 2.0 enclosure (fifty bucks or less) for the drive, which you
    can now connect to any or all computers you or your family have at home
    or work. I have kept one in the back of my car for a long time with
    important images and data in case the ole homestead burns down. They're
    more durable than dvd's or cd's. These enclosures are great for hard
    drives one no longer needs. I recently yanked a six gig drive from an
    old and unused subnote, put it in a nifty little five dollar enclosure
    purchased on eBay and have a very useful device for file transfer, or
    backing up important files while on a trip.

    Ron, Mar 16, 2005
  6. It is hard to find dual-layer DVDs at all, little enough armor plated.
    In all honesty, until the price comes down to match the storage space, I
    would just use to regular DVD+-R disks. That will run you less than $2
    rather than around $7.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 16, 2005
  7. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Edward Holt Guest

    I got a TDK DVD-RW Single layer that employes TDKs latest scratch proof
    technology.
    Whilst it may have been scratch proof - it only allowed me to write data to
    it twice before it became useless.

    Edward Holt, Mar 16, 2005
  8. If you watch the weekly special at Best Buy and CompUSA, 8x DVD media
    is under 50 cents a disc. Dual layer media is indeed still up around
    $7.

    Oliver Costich, Mar 16, 2005
  9. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Big Bill Guest

    If you're paying anywhere near $2 per DVD, you're just not shopping
    hard enough. :)
    I can get DVD-/+Rs for under $.50 all day long locally, and for less
    watching the Sunday ads.

    DL DVDs, OTH, are expensive locally; a 3-pack is about $20! Just under
    $7 each.

    Big Bill, Mar 16, 2005
    than one dual-layer disk. I then indicated that it would cost less than
    $2 (meaning less than $1 per disk). I usually by DVDs in packs of 25 or
    50, and it is around 80 cents a piece, but smaller packs are around $1 /
    disk, so I just chose that as a good maximum.
    Which is about what I said ;-)

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 16, 2005
  11. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Big Bill Guest

    Sorry, I saw the "to" where you meant "two" ("I
    would just use to regular DVD+-R disks"), and lost it.

    Big Bill, Mar 17, 2005
  12. Yeah .. I type faster than I think sometimes. In another post I wrote
    "by" rather than "buy".

    I think DL-DVD will remain high for awhile as the movie industry really
    hates that they have been made generally available.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 17, 2005
  13. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Big Bill Guest

    What I think will keep the prices up for DL is the iminent arrival of
    BlueRay DVDs.
    Remember the small CD-Rs? The USB thumb-drives killed them. The blue
    laser DVDs will kill off DL DVDs simply because the DL discs aren't
    going to be cost effective before the blue laser drives arrive.
    When you can go to the store and buy the DVD you want cheaper than
    buying a DL disc to copy the movie onto (with the attendant hassle),
    why bother?

    Big Bill, Mar 17, 2005
  14. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Kitt Guest

    I found a Simple Tech 250 gig external USB 2.0 HDD for under $160
    before shipping at Amazon. Since I think maybe a hard drive is faster,
    tougher, cheaper and more flexible than DL DVD's, maybe you should take
    a look at that option?

    Kitt, Mar 17, 2005
    Kitt
    I have no experience with this, but that is what I heard:

    you put an HD into an enclosure - you get a very short estimated
    time to failure.

    And this "very short" is at least an order of magnitude lower than
    DVDs (unless you carry them unprotected). Non-notebook drives just
    are not designed to work when yo can accidentally bump them, drop
    them, etc. Even the notebook ones are not taking high g when attached
    to several-kg notebook. So unless you screw the enclosure to
    something stable before switching it on, forget about it...

    If you believe this, HD-in-an-enclosure is not a viable way to backup
    DVD-Rs. Currently I write several copies on Tayo Yunden media (30
    cents a platter at meritline), keep one copy unused, out of heat and
    direct sunlight, and just pray...

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Mar 17, 2005
  16. gaikokujinkyofusho

    Alpha Guest

    This is correct for external USB drives. I have gone through several in
    less than 2 years. Frankly, I think they put marginal drives in the
    enclosures. They only warrant for a year, versus five for drives installed
    in a computer.

    Alpha, Mar 17, 2005
  17. gaikokujinkyofusho

    wee_luke Guest

    right, the hdd in the enclosure will be perfect for what you are doing,
    the only thing is if you are using it with a notebook you will have to
    make sure it doesnt move about too much, you dont have to go to extrems
    like screwing it down first, it should be ok and as long as your not
    too rough with it, it should last for ages

    wee_luke, Mar 31, 2005
    wee_luke
    I repeat: I have not used this setup. However, what I saw reported on
    Usenet, and my (same as everybody's ;-() experience with Parkinson's
    laws suggests that what you say may be just wishful thinking...

    Yours,
    Ilya

    Ilya Zakharevich, Mar 31, 2005