    Anybody rate benq?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Apr 4, 2005

  2. thing

    EMB Guest

    Roger doesn't so they're probably ok. :)

    EMB, Apr 4, 2005

  3. thing

    Hank Guest

    Benq is Acer and i've had no issues with a Benq projector i've had for
    a while.

    Hank, Apr 4, 2005
  4. thing

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    Bruce Flyger, Apr 4, 2005
  5. thing

    thing Guest

    thing, Apr 4, 2005
  6. thing

    paora Guest

    Just bought one - suits me just fine.

    I've only done 4speed burns.
    I like slow and reliable.
    dvd+r and dvd+rw works best for me
    dvd-r seemed really really slow

    The dvd+rs work fine in two oldish standalones I have as well as an
    older dvdrom which was my major concern.

    There are some pretty thorough reviews on the net.
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/ has one.

    $106 at qmb computers or $150 on trademe. :)

    Dunno what else might be worth telling you.

    paora, Apr 4, 2005
  7. thing

    Jake Collins Guest

    I bought one in Singapore some months ago for S$100 and haven't been
    disappointed. Works great for me with + and - media (including various
    no-name blanks picked up in Asia). All work well in standalone player
    (Mizuda). Good speed with CD burning as well.

    Jake Collins, Apr 4, 2005
  8. thing

    E. Scrooge Guest

    As good as that. :)

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Apr 4, 2005
  9. I have a Benq CD-writer in an external USB box that's worked light
    duty without a hiccup for a couple of years. I'd buy another.

    R. G. \Stumpy\ Marsh, Apr 4, 2005
  10. thing

    John Guest

    Ordered the BenQ DW1620 from PlayTech to-day for $99 after reading a
    number of reviews, (see the BenQ web-site for "Awards" and follow
    links.

    I already have a LiteOn DVD burner and a Asus DVD reader installed,
    but after a number of years the Asus is starting to play up. I only
    use the Asus to watch DVD movies and my original idea was to replace
    with another DVD reader but at $99 it pays me to get a 16X dual layer
    DVD burner for a few extra bucks.

    Couple of links that might be of interest:

    http://www.benq-eu.com/Products/DVDRewriter/index.cfm?product=443

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92

    http://www.extrememhz.com/dw1620-p1.shtml

    http://tdb.rpc1.org/

    Regards,
    John.

    By the way if you do a Google search on nz.comp you'll find that Roger
    holds the BenQ in contempt - that for me was the deciding factor in
    the purchase:)
    A further point that I have discovered is that the difference between
    the DW1620, and the DW1620, Pro is the firmware. Once the Dw1620 is
    flashed with the appropriate firmware it becomes the Pro.

    John, Apr 5, 2005
  11. thing

    Invisible Guest

    He's probably in denial seeing as his favourite fan-boy site, cdfreaks, rated it
    well ;-)

    Invisible, Apr 5, 2005
  12. thing

    S Roby Guest

    Isnt the cost of dual layer DVD blanks too high to make it worthwile?????

    S Roby, Apr 5, 2005
  13. thing

    GraB Guest

    Yes, they are, in my opinion and I think it will be a long time before
    they ever get near single layer prices. They are also a lot more
    problematic.

    GraB, Apr 5, 2005
  14. thing

    BILL Guest

    Yes, plus they don't work..

    BILL, Apr 5, 2005
  15. By which time, Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD will be here.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 6, 2005
  16. thing

    Invisible Guest

    And then some newfangled thing will be in the pipeline.

    Invisible, Apr 6, 2005
  17. thing

    BILL Guest

    Does the BenQ use a Philips laser block, if it does it will have very limited
    burn life, Philips make crap lasers..

    BILL, Apr 6, 2005
  18. thing

    John Guest

    It's eased my mind knowing that Roger has given my new DVD Writer the
    *CRAP AWARD* - I now know I've made the right decision in purchasing
    this drive:)

    In 1999 I purchased a *CRAP* Philips CD Writer. This gave great
    service for a couple of years then I passed it on to my daughter, who
    still burns with the drive without any problems. Six years and still
    going, not bad for a crap drive - how many drives have you replaced in
    the last six years Roger?

    Regards,
    John

    John, Apr 6, 2005
  19. thing

    BILL Guest

    I service CD Players and the Philips lasers clap out all the Time, Plus my
    Philips burner lasted 14 months.

    FACTS..

    In Fact a Professor from Philips Holland confirmed that the Philips lasers
    were crap..

    BILL, Apr 7, 2005
  20. thing

    John Guest

    If you already had this knowledge about Philips being CRAP, why on
    earth did you get a CRAP Philips burner in the first place.

    Are you saying that only Philips lasers clap out?

    Regards,
    John.

    John, Apr 7, 2005