  1. Are these available in NZ. Any ideas what they cost and where to purchase
    Ciao
    Kev

    Kevin Cosgrove, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Kevin Cosgrove

    Andrew Dixon Guest

    www.tastech.co.nz have Verbatim DVD+R 8.5Gb dual layer media for $12.50 each

    www.ascent.co.nz have the same discs in a 10 pack for $141.55

    Andy

    Andrew Dixon, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Steer away from tastech if you can.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 4, 2004

  4. And why would you need them..?

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 4, 2004
  5. Kevin Cosgrove

    Invisible Guest

    For a dual layer burner maybe? Nah...

    Invisible, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Kevin Cosgrove

    Craig Shore Guest

    Why? I buy almost everything for the computer from there and have no
    problems.

    Craig Shore, Aug 4, 2004
  7. Kevin Cosgrove

    A Guest

    I emailed them a few times and never got a response. I'm not the only
    one either as I suggested my sister try them once when she was after a
    new PC and she never got anywhere either. Two lost sales from them.

    A, Aug 4, 2004
  8. I had the same experience, and it wasn't over one $12 disk, it was for
    purchase of a $130 memory stick, which I ended up getting off Ascent.
    Tastech gave me all the pricing details, but when I emailed them wanting
    to order, they never replied.

    Since then I prefer to deal locally with PC Plus, we also buy from them
    at work.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 4, 2004
  9. Kevin Cosgrove

    GraB Guest

    He was away for a bit recently. They have answered every e-mail from
    me.

    GraB, Aug 4, 2004
  10. Kevin Cosgrove

    David Preece Guest

    Ditto. Shame, they used to be good.

    Dave

    David Preece, Aug 4, 2004
  11. Kevin Cosgrove

    David Preece Guest

    Well we have gigs and gigs of 6MP pictures and some movie clips from the
    camera. Backing these things up is proving to be a significant headache,
    we may get a dual layer burner for just this reason.

    Dave

    David Preece, Aug 4, 2004
  12. Kevin Cosgrove

    Craig Shore Guest

    Fair enough. I guess that's the problem with him working on his own.
    Personally i've never had any problems. But then again, i'm not
    expecting instant service, i'm buying there for the price. I normally
    get replies within a day.
    Is that these people? www.pcplus.co.nz

    That www site is a mess. There's bugger all real information, just
    about everything ends up in a email form to fill out to request
    information. The monitors page is full of pictures with missing files.
    The site is designed for a screen res greater than 1024x768.
    And they are selling www design!

    Craig Shore, Aug 4, 2004
  13. To use on my Sony Dual layer Burner
    Ciao
    kev

    Kevin Cosgrove, Aug 4, 2004
  14. So, Tastech has a flash looking website, but their service sucks.

    Just goes to show you can't pick a business by its website can you.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 4, 2004

  15. And its far cheaper and better to use a Proven System like Normal DVD's

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 4, 2004
  16. Kevin Cosgrove

    Craig Shore Guest

    Actually Roger has a good point there. Which is why I didn't go for a duel layer
    writer the other day. The cost of a single layer writer, and the cost of single
    layer media is far more economical than duel layer at the moment, and I guess
    well into the future. About the only essential use I could think of for duel
    layer would be for copying or making DVD movies bigger than the 4.5gb single
    layer discs. There wouldn't be much else that you couldn't split across 2 4.5gb
    discs at about $2.50 each rather than 1 $12.50 duel layer disc.

    Craig Shore, Aug 4, 2004
  17. Kevin Cosgrove

    David Preece Guest

    To be fair I hadn't really looked into it in any detail, I'm just fixing
    up the backup strategies for both home and work and at the moment home
    backs up onto FTP.

    The problem is the value of the data - losing *all* the pictures of our
    daughter growing up is just not an option. And that it would be nice to
    be able to post it overseas, both from an earthquake proofing point of
    view and so grannies can have a copy as well.

    Is there some software that's reasonably good at spanning large data
    sets across DVD's to burn them? The other thing is that (again) given
    how much I care about the data, $12 for a blank is really not a problem.
    Besides, they won't stay expensive for long.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    David Preece, Aug 4, 2004
  18. Thanks people I wish I had stayed with cheaper dvd burner now. I should
    have done my homework

    Kevin Cosgrove, Aug 5, 2004
  19. And, how many computer DVD drives can read dual layer discs?

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 5, 2004
  20. Kevin Cosgrove

    cagey Guest

    I thought all DVD players can read dual layer, as all DVD movies are
    dual layer.

    Is this correct???

    cagey, Aug 5, 2004