Dual homed MS Windows on L2 network

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by anybody43, Mar 4, 2005.

  1. anybody43

    anybody43 Guest

    Shoot me down if this is Off T.

    Does anyone have views on the best way to
    accomplish connecting a Windows server
    to two different switches. We can do L2 or L3?
    Whatever?

    The goal is to have a resilient connection
    and not to do load sharing. I will take load
    sharing if it produces the most robust connection
    but it is not a requirement and in principle
    I believe that load sharing should be
    avoided unless it really is needed.

    Our windows admins recently
    set up bridging between two physical interfaces.
    There is a virtual interface that then has the L£
    address. (well that is the effect anyway)

    I don't much like the idea of this kit participating
    in the network in an active role. Clearly we can set it up
    such that one of the ports is always STP blocked
    however it just seems a bad idea. The Windows
    kit is at least (mercifully) STP transparent.

    All ideas gratefully received.

    anybody43, Mar 4, 2005