    and VS software.

    Thanks.

    Rob

    Microsoft News Groups, Feb 16, 2006

  2. There will be 8 processors visible in task manager, however, Microsoft
    licensing is per-socket, not per-core, so regardless of whether it seems to
    be 8 physical processors, with 4 sockets, you only need a 4-cpu license. If
    you get the x64 edition of Windows Server 2003 Standard, you can have up to
    4 dual-core CPUs and 32GB of RAM. Given that the DL585 supports a maximum
    of 32GB of RAM when using PC3200 DDR-SDRAM, it seems as though you can just
    about squeeze within the limits :)

    Now, non-Microsoft software may be licensed differently, but this applies to
    all MS software, including Windows, SQL, and anything else that is per-cpu.

    Michael D'Angelo, Feb 16, 2006

  3. Microsoft News Groups

    Rick Guest

    Rick, Feb 16, 2006
  4. Microsoft News Groups

    Rick Guest

    Also, your requirements will determine which version you need.

    Rick, Feb 16, 2006
  5. A good box, you'll like it! It sees 8 processors for functionality, but 4
    processors for licensing. Licensing counts the number of sockets, not the
    number of cores.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 16, 2006