    -Thanks

    (PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
    he/she/it? can help)

    Travis, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Travis

    Travis Guest

    Ooops, sorry I didn't notice that I already had a message, please ignore
    this topic

    Travis, Dec 1, 2005

  3. Travis

    nos1eep Guest

    On 30 Nov 2005 16:15:18 -0800, "Travis" <> chewed
    somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:

    <I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows 3.11
    For
    <Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have Windows
    <3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can be
    <done.
    <
    <-Thanks
    <
    <(PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
    <he/she/it? can help)

    I'm baaaaaaack! I will give you the answer, plus give you the answers
    to any and all computer related questions on the condition that you
    stop trying to give tech support. You just are not qualified.
    First of all, you will need to find a floppy drive and install it, DOS
    requires it.
    Partition your hdd into 2 partitions, format one in fat16, install
    dos, install windows 3.1. On a seperate partition, format it into
    fat32 and install XP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&sd=tech
    __

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Travis

    Travis Guest

    Thank you, I can get a USB floppy drive (I have a laptop w/o a Floppy
    drive).

    PS: What tech support?

    Travis, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Travis

    nos1eep Guest

    <Thank you, I can get a USB floppy drive (I have a laptop w/o a Floppy
    <drive).

    What laptop? Name, model no. Drivers are going to be few and far
    between for most newer laptops. I could be wrong, but I think that
    win95 was the first microsoft os with support for usb.

    <PS: What tech support?

    exactly

    <
    <<> On 30 Nov 2005 16:15:18 -0800, "Travis" <> chewed
    <> somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:
    <>
    <> <I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows
    3.11
    <> For
    <> <Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have
    Windows
    <> <3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can
    be
    <> <done.
    <> <
    <> <-Thanks
    <> <
    <> <(PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
    <> <he/she/it? can help)
    <>
    <> I'm baaaaaaack! I will give you the answer, plus give you the
    answers
    <> to any and all computer related questions on the condition that you
    <> stop trying to give tech support. You just are not qualified.
    <> First of all, you will need to find a floppy drive and install it,
    DOS
    <> requires it.
    <> Partition your hdd into 2 partitions, format one in fat16, install
    <> dos, install windows 3.1. On a seperate partition, format it into
    <> fat32 and install XP.
    <>
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&sd=tech
    <> __
    <>
    <> -nos1eep
    <
    __

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Travis

    Plato Guest

    Yeah, it was called win95B w/USB. Came out just a few months after
    win95B.

    Plato, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Travis

    Robert Baer Guest

    Bull**; DOS does *NOT* "require" a floppy drive.
    If you require a driver for reading CDs in DOS, ther are a number of
    them, and the setup is fairly easy.
    However, one *will* need (at least) two partitions, the first ones
    are for DOS (primary and extended partitions), and the last one - the
    *big* one taking the rest of the drive, will be left for XP.
    And you can, if XP allows it, use FAT32 or NTFS - presumedly
    selectable during installation of XP (after you have at least made the
    other partitions for DOS).
    Word of warning - if you use NTFS, no DOS program will "see" that
    drive (other than FDISK which will incorrectly report the size and will
    not give it a drive letter).
    However, NTFS is more efficent and presumedly faster than FAT32 - so
    it is not a bad trade-off; i have yet to have problems due to the
    DOS-invisible "drive"; i make a special DOS subdirectory that i call
    "common" to park files from my Win2k (NTFS) that i most likely will need
    in DOS, and vise-versa.

    Robert Baer, Dec 2, 2005
  8. Travis

    Robert Baer Guest

    AFAIK there are no USB drivers for DOS, so that is not an option.

    Robert Baer, Dec 2, 2005
  9. Travis

    nos1eep Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:57:01 GMT, Robert Baer

    <nos1eep wrote:
    <
[...]

    Yeah, you are right Robert, you can get by without a floppy, I was
    remembering back and got caught in a time warp; when all we had was
    floppies to get things started. For the moment, I forgot about
    bootable CD's. Dohhh!

    __

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Dec 2, 2005