    the dual boot with XP64Bit.
    I am wondering why the slowness to shut down is happening. Defragment and
    Disk Cleanup Utilities are run regularly and the hardware is ok.

    Nicholas Baker, Jan 31, 2010

  2. Nicholas Baker

    umwhat Guest

    the slowness to shut down is the only problem I notice but I remember from
    trying this before XP begins to have problems. Just wondering if I missed a
    dual boot setup step somewhere.

    umwhat, Jan 31, 2010

  3. Nicholas Baker

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Nicholas.

    I've never used Paragon anything - or any other partition manager except
    Disk Management in the past 10 years or so. But I've been dual-booting
    various versions of Windows ever since Win95/NT4 and I see no reason why a
    dual-booted Windows - any version - should be slower to shut down than when
    it is the only Windows installed. After all, we NEVER have more than a
    single installation booted at any one time. A dual-booted machine may have
    more hard drives and other peripherals attached, and it may take a little
    longer to shut all of those down, but the OS itself should shut down at its
    usual speed.

    No matter which installation is currently running, it is absolutely
    convinced that it is the ONLY operating system on that machine.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 31, 2010
  4. Nicholas Baker

    umwhat Guest

    Hi, thank you for replying. I am not receiveing notification messages. Maybe
    I forgot something when setting up XP64 Bit Professional.
    I remember a similar slow shut down occurred when I attempted a previous
    dual boot setups maybe a year ago so I refrained or restrained or something.
    I think I am pretty good with computers but I may have missed something.
    I setup XP Home Edition already then installed the XP 64 Bit Professional.
    I have Paragon Hard Drive Manager installed now because of the good free
    suff Paragon is offering now and the first thing I did was uninstall any
    other Paragon softwares then installed the Paragon HDM.
    During Defragmenting with HDM one process that removed old restore data
    showed so that seems to have removed a possible problem source.
    I have noticed an open Network will cause a slow shutdown but I made sure
    there was no Network working durng the last few shutdowns and shutdown is
    still slow but a little quicker.

    umwhat, Feb 5, 2010
  5. Nicholas Baker

    umwhat Guest

    ....the very moment I clicked "post" I remembered the icons in a partition I
    use for storing application backup copies load very slowly. I looked the
    problem up and following advice from previos posts did not make an
    improvement. Maybe this is a clue to the slow shutdowns.

    umwhat, Feb 5, 2010