    partition the hard drive into 'C' & 'D'.

    QUESTION: which OS should I add first or does it matter?

    thanks

    Guest, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Always install the older version of Windows first, in this case Windows XP
    Professional x86 (32-bit) first then Windows XP Professional x64 (64-bit)
    after.

    Charlie Russel - MVP has an excellent article about recovering from corrupt
    installations and installing in the wrong order:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2005/11/21/76180.aspx
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 30, 2006

  3. Yes, it matters. Rule number one of dual boots - always start with the
    oldest first. So, do xp 32-bit first, then xp x64.

    See my blog for details.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Guest

    Bioboffin Guest

    Actually in this case it doesn't matter. You are getting the "conventional
    wisdom" from the other contributors. Both OSs are windows XP and therefore
    'concurrent'. I have done it both ways, and both work fine! However, you
    will find that the one which you install last comes out as the default when
    you start up. (Because boot.ini puts the latest OS first). If you choose to
    install XP x64 first, and prefer it to be the default, you will need to edit
    boot.ini (which is very easy and you can do it from within either version of
    windows).

    Take care,

    John.

    Bioboffin, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Just to be safe though, install XP x64 after XP x86.

    As you said, you can change the boot options by opening Control Panel from
    either OS, open System > Advanced (tab) > under "Startup and Recovery" click
    system:" list box and choose your desire OS.

    You can also edit the "Time to display list of operating systems:" on the
    Windows Boot Manager.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 30, 2006
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Not correct. Follow Charlies instruction in the blog. Newest system last.

    John Barnes, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Guest

    Jane Colman Guest

    Nope. XP x32 is XP. XP x64 is not. It's based on Windows 2003........

    Jane Colman, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Guest

    Bioboffin Guest

    So you're telling me that this XP x64 OS which I am currently using as a
    dual boot system with an XP W32 on a second hard drive doesn't work?

    (Incidentally, the reason I installed it this way round is because the XP 32
    OS failed to boot - thanks to a problem with the RAID controller - so I
    needed to reinstall it from scratch. This was AFTER the x64 OS - obviously.
    Works just fine.)

    So you are wrong.

    John.

    Bioboffin, Apr 30, 2006
  9. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    If you screw around with the drive priorities, active partitions, etc. you
    can accidentally get it to work, but that is not the intelligent way. Just
    ask dozens of posters who installed x64 first then x86 and came up with
    various drive and or file not found messages.

    John Barnes, Apr 30, 2006
  10. John:
    I agree with you fully. It's one of the first lessons that I learned
    the hard way when x64 was still a CPP build. A way around it may be using a
    third-party boot manager.

    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, Apr 30, 2006
  11. No, they aren't concurrent. And it won't be fine. You'll have to move some
    system files around if you install 32-bit after. See my blog. We've all been
    down this road many times, and that's why I put together the blog.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 1, 2006
  12. Guest

    Bioboffin Guest

    Well I didn't "screw around" with any of those things. The two OSs are on
    two different drives. The only thing I did was to change the default OS in
    boot.ini.

    I guess I was just lucky.

    John.

    Bioboffin, May 1, 2006
  13. Guest

    Bioboffin Guest

    I've read the blog - thanks. Just in case - I've printed off the "wrong
    order" bit.

    I'm not too worried about possible dire consequences - because like a lot of
    other people I installed x64 to learn about the issues, and because I enjoy
    messing about with computers! However, I am now intrigued to know why it
    seems to be working O.K., even though I reinstalled 32bit XP after x64. (it
    was the previous 'correctly installed' x32 which wouldn't boot up. Having
    reinstalled it, both OSs boot just fine.)

    Take care,

    John.

    Bioboffin, May 1, 2006
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm not very smart... but I'm hell confused...

    At work where I'm apparently system administrator (scary) they have a 64-bit
    AMD which was running XP x64 bit edition... that was all very well and good
    but it wouldn't install software the new person required so I installed
    windows xp 32 bit edition and had no problems at all, didn't eve think I
    would have any problem...

    my question to those who did is how did you do it (so I don't in future), I
    had four partitions on the drive when I first saw it to work with (boss has a
    fascination with lots of partitions) and just used an unused partition for
    the install, I can see how problems can occur if installing on the same
    partition (stupid in my opinion and as I said I'm not very smart) but still
    don't see the problem...

    enlighten me... I'll go read that blog now.

    Guest, May 3, 2006
  15. Yup. Should see the 32-bit installation just fine. But getting back to the
    64-bit is the issue, if you use native Windows boot.ini and files.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 3, 2006