    ,would it lead to incorrect paths and hence cause problems.
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do excuse a newbie's ignorance.
    Thanks for any help.

    Jaycee, Nov 19, 2006

  2. Jaycee

    7 Guest

    You are better off getting a new HD - say 250Gb hard disk for about $50
    and installing everything fresh. That way, your old data is preserved
    in your old drive and you can play to hearts content on the new drive
    to learn everything before modifying your old drive.

    Partioning a drive is much more flexible under Linux.
    Concepts such as drive C, D, E etc are limited and don't exist under Linux.

    Also, you can boot up with liveCDs
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    and learn small bits of Linux before taking the plunge.
    Try for example, knoppix, dsl, or livecd of Ubuntu (as opposed to the
    install only Ubuntu CD).

    7, Nov 19, 2006

  3. Xp keeps driveletters and "partition signatures", so even if you make a
    partition in between unvisible for XP, it won't matter - the others stay
    the same once "imprinted" in the registry.
    Even if some nasty trick would wipe out that registry entry, you'd be able
    then to restore it by assigning the same driveletter again, in drive
    management.
    Well, linux doesn't have that concept of "driveletters" for partitons :)

    Walter Mautner, Nov 19, 2006
  4. Jaycee

    Whiskers Guest

    Windows is silly in the way it uses 'drive letters'. You do have some
    control though. See <http://www.felgall.com/doswin20.htm> and
    <http://www.felgall.com/ntins14.htm>.

    (In fact, see <http://www.felgall.com/>).

    Linux does not use 'drive letters' at all.

    Make sure that you have important stuff backed up before you do anything
    drastic. Make a Windows 'boot disc' and make sure it works (see
    <http://www.felgall.com/ntins15.htm>) (or check your 'rescue' disc, if you
    have one).

    Linux requires at least two partitions; they can be 'primary' ('physical')
    or 'secondary' ('logical'). One of them is a 'swap partition' which can
    be shared by all the Linux systems you install, if you have more than one.
    The Ubuntu installer will set that up for you.

    I'm not familiar with Ubuntu (I like Mandriva), but people seem to manage
    to get it to install as a dual boot OK. There are Ubuntu newsgroups, if
    you need help from people who know that particular distro. With a little
    care, you should be fine and your Windows stuff will be unscathed. 10GB
    is ample space.

    Windows cannot see or use Linux partitions; Linux can read Windows NTFS
    partitions, and can read and write to Microsoft FAT16 and FAT32
    partitions.

    Whiskers, Nov 19, 2006
  5. Jaycee

    Jaycee Guest

    Thanks a lot.
    Good to hear that drive letters in XP remain intact.
    All said and done, I guess it would be safer to install in 2nd HD (slave).

    Jaycee, Nov 20, 2006