    to be on the 80 gig HD ( Second HD). Do I need to change my drives, and/or
    wipe windows off of my system? I really do not want to lose any thing on my
    windows drive if I do not have to.

    Viper, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Viper

    gordon Guest

    You're best bet is to try out a Live CD version to start with. These are
    versions that will run entirely from the CD Drive and will not affect
    your windows installation at all. Then you can see if you like it, and
    more importantly, whether all your hardware will work with a particular
    distro.
    There are several to choose from:
    Ubuntu, Knoppix, and Mepis to name three.

    HTH

    gordon, Oct 10, 2005

  3. Viper

    why? Guest

    Try a live distro first, these boot from CD/DVD and will let you check
    hardware compatability.

    There are quite a few to pick from, see recent past posts in 24HSHD,
    You should still backup anything important , a few times and test
    restore to make sure it works.

    If you do install Linux, you (in some versions) don't need to install
    any boot loader, you can make a boot floppy instead.

    MS also has a couple of articles, again with the
    it's been mentioned in the last 2 or 3 months.

    Me

    why?, Oct 10, 2005
  4. Viper

    Trax Guest

    Check out: http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
    to dual boot, and http://ubuntu.com/ as a Linux OS.

    Trax, Oct 10, 2005
  5. Viper

    old jon Guest

    Hi Viper. Just been going through it all. I`ve tried Ubuntu 5.04 & 5.10, and
    also
    Kubuntu. All live CDs. Then I tried PCLinuxos, and it is excellent for a
    beginner.
    The others all needed parameters set. but pclinuxos found all my hardware
    1st time, no problem. Boots, and runs from CD.
    So D\load and burn a LiveCD of pclinuxos from
    http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/html/download.html
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Oct 10, 2005
  6. Viper

    Whiskers Guest

    Mandriva is very user-friendly for newcomers. It has a graphical
    installation process that gives you the option of setting up a 'dual boot'
    with your existing Windows system. It's always a good idea to tidy up your
    system and make good back-ups before making any changes to either software
    or hardware.

    alt.os.linux.mandrake and alt.os.linux.mandriva are useful Mandriva-related
    newsgroups (Mandriva used to be called Mandrake). There are several other
    Linux newsgroups too :))

    Whiskers, Oct 10, 2005
  7. Viper

    Dan Evans Guest

    Knnoppix LiveCD. There are others out there, but Knoppix has always worked
    for me - it's been good for identfying harware and their correct drivers
    before installing Debian for real as well.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Oct 11, 2005
  8. Viper

    joe Guest

    Try Ubuntu and just follow the directions and it will work fine. It can
    e downloaded a www.ubuntulinux.org. I have the same set up and I never
    us window anymore. You will find that windows is needed if you are a
    gamer. Good Luck

    joe, Oct 14, 2005