    Chris Cowles Guest

    Does anyone here have experience with a dual-boot installation of Vista Ultimate x64 and Ubuntu x64? I want to start dabbling in Ubuntu but don't have a spare machine and don't want to disrupt my routine use of VUx64. I get the impression that Ubuntu has a Windows-based installer that permits dual-boot. True? If so, is it relatively painless, at least with respect to not messing up my existing Windows install?

    Thanks in advance.

    Chris Cowles, Apr 26, 2008

  2. Why don't you run Ubuntu in a virtualization program like VMWare? It's much
    easier and you don't have to dual boot. Check it out.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 26, 2008

  3. Chris Cowles

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Apr 26, 2008
  4. Chris Cowles

    Chris Cowles Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. That seems an easier approach for my level of interest.

    Chris Cowles, Apr 26, 2008
  5. Chris Cowles

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    If you just want to get a feel for a particular Linux distribution, you
    might consider getting the "Live" version of the install and burning that to
    the appropriate medium, CD or DVD. Then you just have to put the medium in
    the drive an boot from it. It is not installed to you HD unless you choose
    that option. Check to be sure your BIOS setting allows booting from the DVD
    as first.

    Next level-installing to a VM as suggested by Colin and Carlos.

    various www sites with good instructions. Since Vista is already installed-
    http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm
    is just one. A Google or Ask search would get many hits on "install Linux
    after Vista".

    Don't be confused by the statement, "This tutorial has been tested on a
    VMWare Workstation 6 machine and an ASUS P5AD2-based Intel system with 2GB
    RAM and an 80GB Seagate SATA drive". It describes an install on the actual
    machine, not to a VM.

    Also, if using a torrent to get the install or Live files be your
    preference, you will find instructions for that on the Ubuntu www site.

    You will probably find that, if your needs go beyond the basic setup, which
    is really quite user-friendly with the latest packages, more than a modicum
    of effort and suffering (translate as research and advice-seeking) will be
    required of you than needed for Windows/Vista. Just my view based on my
    experience.

    Happy Computing.
    --

    Tom
    MSMVP 1998-2007

    PS
    In my view, Suse and Fedora are also worth a look.
    TF

    Tom Ferguson, Apr 26, 2008