    So maybe it doesn't really matter then?

    Thanks,

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandell, Oct 22, 2003

  2. mark  mandell

    Michael-NC Guest

    Partition first, then format. Use a win98 startup disc to do this.

    One note. Win98 requires a fat partition and if you install XP on an NTFS
    partition, 98 won't be able to see the NTFS partition but XP will be able to
    read the fat drive. I would suggest formatting both OS partitions in fat32
    unless you have a reason not to.

    Install win98 to the C partition then install XP. It'll see the win98
    install and setup a boot loader for you.

    Michael-NC, Oct 22, 2003

  3. mark  mandell

    mark mandell Guest

    Thanks for getting back. Actually, I previously used the 98 startup disk as
    you mention and then installed a Ghost image of 98 to the primary partition.
    The secondary partition I had created through FDISK had two logical drives.
    The problem, however, was that when I later installed XP it didn't recognize
    the separated partitions and only showed a single partition. Somehow, this
    corrected itself, the XP got installed and I have a properly working
    multi-boot setup on this PC.

    But it't now because I've just built a new PC(a novice no less!)that I was
    unsure how I was going to go about it this time. I had read elsewhere that
    with multi-booting that the XP should go first because it has the necessary
    booting files(like NTLDR).

    Mark

    mark mandell, Oct 23, 2003
  4. mark  mandell

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    You heard /completely/ wrong. XP is multiboot aware. 98 is not. If you
    install XP first, then 98, 98 will not care that XP's bootsector and
    bootfiles are there and simply overwrite them all, leaving you with a
    Windows XP install that can't be booted until you repair the bootsector.

    Install 98 first, then install XP. XP's setup will see that 98 is already
    installed and set up a dual boot.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 23, 2003
  5. mark  mandell

    Michael-NC Guest

    I dual booted a machine with XP and ME for well over a year. It got to be a
    PITA. You basically have double the work. 2 OS's to maintain, patch, update,
    backup...

    I'm on XP only know and got rid of the hardware that necessitated the dual
    boot setup.

    Michael-NC, Oct 23, 2003
  6. mark  mandell

    mark mandell Guest

    Yep, you're right after I took the time to re-read up on it.
    So I've now reinstalled a ghosted win98 to a new hard drive and will later
    install the XP.

    Mark

    mark mandell, Oct 23, 2003