    good as new at last, 15 working hours later!
    I'll install x64 another day, I've not really got any use for it now.

    thanks again John

    Guest, Jul 30, 2005

  2. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Good news is you know your system better now. 15 hours of education. I
    misunderstood you and thought you had x64 still on your machine. Since you
    will install x64 again and last, there is no use for the files as they will
    be re-installed then. Sorry to see you leave xx64 but understand fully.
    Seems to be happening quite a bit.

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    John,
    I have a DELL 380 with x64 preinstalled. I did not mean to order x64
    accidently hit the worng link on the order page.

    I want to add a second SATA drive and install xp professional on it. I have
    read though the entire discussion on dual-booting x64 and think I know what
    to do. I wanted to summarize.

    1. Copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from x64 OS into a new folder (why? cant i
    just copy from the original location once the x86 (xp pro) OS is installed ?)

    2. Disconnet the x64 OS drive (why?)

    3. Install 2nd drive and x86 (xp pro)

    4. Reconnect x64 OS drive and copy the ntldr and ntdetect.com files into x86
    drive

    5. Edit boot.ini file

    Did I cover it all?

    Thanks
    NJB

    Guest, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    It will be over-written by the x32 install with the 32-bit version which
    won't then boot your x64 version.
    I wouldn't do that personally. Just point to the second drive, partition
    and format, then install your x86
    N/A Leave installed.
    Just copy the x64 saved files to the %root% drive, which will be the active
    partition on your first boot drive. Make sure that the boot.ini is now
    appropriate for the installation either editing in system properties or
    using the recovery console on your install disk
    see 4.
    yes. It is unnecessary to disconnect anything, except when there are
    problems, which you aren't having. It is just necessary to make sure that
    your ntldr file (and ntdetect.com, just to be safe) on your system drive is
    from the x64 install when you are done. The boot.ini may be okay or may
    have to be modified when you are done.

    John Barnes, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks John,
    That was very helpfull.
    One other question.

    If I install x86 on a 2nd HD I assume it will be mapped as D and the
    existing x64 drive will remain C.

    Can I swap the existing x64 drive to the 2nd SADA port and add the new drive
    to the 1st port and then do the x86 install which will then show up under C
    drive.

    NJB

    Guest, Aug 4, 2005
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Not necessarily, probably will be the next higher Letter following your
    currently assigned letters (ie CD/DVD drive = D then the x86 will probably
    be assigned E)

    John Barnes, Aug 4, 2005
  7. Hello,
    If you are booting from the CD to do the installation, driver lettering is
    not retained so all existing drives and existing partitions are
    re-enumerated.
    So if the new drive has an existing partition on it already and you swap
    postitions so that it is first in the detection order it should get the
    drive letter C while in Windows XP.
    Now when you boot Windows XP X64 that drive will also report as C drive
    since that OS already knows that drive as C and it will give the new drive
    the next available drive letter. This means the drive lettering will be
    different depending on which OS you are in.

    However the arc path will change so the boot entry in the x64 boot.ini file
    will need to be copied to the boot.ini on the new drive after installing
    Windows XP as well as NTLDR and Ntdetect.com
    The boot.ini will need to be modifed since the drive is no different. It
    is no longer the first drive it is the second so the arc path will need to
    reflect that in order to boot.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <Subject: Re: dual boot install?
    <Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:43:47 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Not necessarily, probably will be the next higher Letter following your
    <currently assigned letters (ie CD/DVD drive = D then the x86 will probably
    <be assigned E)
    <
    <
    <<> Thanks John,
    <> That was very helpfull.
    <> One other question.
    <>
    <> If I install x86 on a 2nd HD I assume it will be mapped as D and the
    <> existing x64 drive will remain C.
    <>
    <> Can I swap the existing x64 drive to the 2nd SADA port and add the new
    <> drive
    <> to the 1st port and then do the x86 install which will then show up
    under
    <> C
    <> drive.
    <>
    <> NJB
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <> "John Barnes" wrote:
    <>
    <>>
    <>> <>> > John,
    <>> > I have a DELL 380 with x64 preinstalled. I did not mean to order x64
    <>> > accidently hit the worng link on the order page.
    <>> >
    <>> > I want to add a second SATA drive and install xp professional on it. I
    <>> > have
    <>> > read though the entire discussion on dual-booting x64 and think I know
    <>> > what
    <>> > to do. I wanted to summarize.
    <>> >
    <>> > 1. Copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from x64 OS into a new folder (why?
    cant
    <>> > i
    <>> > just copy from the original location once the x86 (xp pro) OS is
    <>> > installed
    <>> > ?)
    <>>
[...]
    <>> > "John Barnes" wrote:
    <>> >
    <>> >> Since you already have x64 installed, make copies of ntldr and
    <>> >> ntdetect.com
    <>> >> and save them in a new folder on your drive. You didn't say what
    kind
    <>> >> of
    <>> >> drives you are using or how you are going to hook them up, so if
    SATA,
    <>> >> I
    <>> >> would unplug the x64 drive and install your x86 system then you can
    <>> >> reconnect the x64 drive. Replace the ntldr and ntdetect.com on the
    <>> >> x86
    <>> >> drive with the ones copied above, correct the boot.ini files to
    <>> >> reflect
    <>> >> the
    <>> >> way you have your drives configured. If IDE, basically do the same
    <>> >> except
    <>> >> you will probably leave both drives hooked up as master/slave when
    <>> >> doing
    <>> >> the
    <>> >> x86 install. Remember to make sure you have the x64 files on the
    <>> >> %root%
    <>> >> and
    <>> >> the boot.ini files on the root drive the way you want them before you
    <>> >> shut
    <>> >> down after the x86 install.
    <>> >>
    <>> >>
    <>> >> <>> >> > Thanks to everyone. I will try the separate drive suggestion.
    <>> >> >
    <>> >> > "Harry Ohrn" wrote:
    <>> >> >
    <>> >> >> Yes I'm running it that way.
    <>> >> >>
    <>> >> >> --
    <>> >> >>
    <>> >> >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    <>> >> >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    <>> >> >>
    <>> >> >>
    <>> >> >> <>> >> >> > Can WinXP 64 be installed as a dual boot along side WinXP
    <>> >> >> > Professional?
    <>> >> >> That
    <>> >> >> > way I could check out the driver/program support without
    <>> >> >> > committing
    <>> >> >> > myself
    <>> >> >> > totally.
    <>> >> >> >
    <>> >> >> > Klaus
    <>> >> >>
    <>> >> >>
    <>> >> >>
    <>> >>
    <>> >>
    <>> >>
    <>>
    <>>
    <>>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Aug 6, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    john,
    i have been following this discussion with interest. i recently purchased a
    dell 380 and got myself a 64 bit arch . now i am in fix since i cannot run
    any of my old programs which will only run on windows 2000 server or NT

    so i have a 64 bit arch machine with 64 bit XP professional installed.

    2 sata 160 gb hard drives

    c: drive is formatted and installed with xp 64
    d: drive is formatted but with no OP

    drive D is visible to me, it is formatted with NTFS

    now i am trying to install windows 2000 server on D, and set up machine for
    dual boot.

    1) copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from C:/I386 to a new folder on C:

    2) unplug C drive i.e. drive 0:

    3) startup with 2000 cd which i presume will start install on D:

    am i on the right track. what do i need to do next??
    where do i get to boot.ini

    thnx
    jeff

    Guest, Aug 13, 2005
  9. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Don't make it too complicated. Copy C:\ntldr and C:\ntdetect.com to a new
    folder you create on the C drive, say 'new boot'). (you may have to check
    'show hidden files' and uncheck ' hide protected operating system files'
    in folder options) Run your Windows 2000 setup. Point to the D drive to
    install. Since it is formatted with no OS, you should have the option
    presented to you. When the install is completed and it boots to the Win2000
    system, replace the ntldr and ntdetect.com that are created by the install
    with the two files in your folder. You can fix the boot.ini file on your
    %sysroot% drive (should still be C:) by running the Recovery Console from
    your install CD or maybe easier, by going into system properties, advanced,
    startup and recovery, and edit the boot.ini there.

    You can re partition and reformat D if you are more comfortable, but if
    there are no system files on it you should be okay.

    John Barnes, Aug 14, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thanks john, i will have a go .