    I am not familiar with the product, but most backup products allow you to do
    a restore by booting to the install cd which usually doubles as a recovery
    cd.

    John Barnes, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ok guys, I've still had no luck.

    My floppy disc drive isnt working so I cant do the boot disc idea.
    Ive put in my other hard drive (running win 98) and my computer still starts
    up in x64 and i want the dual boot for win98 and x64 (so i can delete x64
    through win98)

    how do I set up my boot.ini file for this?

    Its currently:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    MY seperate hard drive is drive I (win98 on)

    Drive C,D,E,F,G,H are partitions of my other hard drive, C has x64 on

    J is a DVD-RW

    The I drive is IDE, C-H is SATA, if that matters

    cheers

    Guest, Jul 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x86
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    You can do this with the Recovery console also using command bootcfg /add
    and select to add the x86 system (assuming you have everything hooked up
    properly, both systems will show up for you to choose from.

    John Barnes, Jul 29, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thats the program i did the backup with ,trueimage but it won't install on
    windows 64, i think it installs a driver and will not work, i tryed it over a
    network but no good there either, i am using scsi drives no ide, but windows
    xp install cd just tells me there's no drives connected so i have to exit the
    install...

    Guest, Jul 29, 2005
  5. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Generally, you have to F6 the drivers for SCSI when you start the restore
    from the install disk.

    John Barnes, Jul 29, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I noticed you wrote Xp professional in the boot file, I'm not going to be
    suing this just yet though, I will be hopefully logging into win 98 to do
    this.
    I will give it a shot though, I take it I replace the old boot.ini file with
    this new one?

    if this doesn't work I'm giving up on it, as this is way too much hassle,
    will sell the system on eBay or buy a new hard drive more likely
    speaking of which, if I take out the new and old hard drive and replace with
    another new one, will it mean I can completely start from scratch? i.e. no
    more evil x64, so i can just use win xp 32bit with nothing (files etc) left
    over from x64 ?

    Guest, Jul 29, 2005
  7. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    1. That is just the name that will show on your boot list. I also assumed
    that windows 98 is on the first partition of the second drive. If you have
    a more complicated setup, use the Recovery console on your x64 disk and do
    the bootcfg process.

    John Barnes, Jul 29, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I only have one partition on the 2nd drive yes.

    Guest, Jul 29, 2005
  9. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    If you want to delete x64, you need to change your boot priority to boot the
    second drive. First. you have to copy the boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com
    from your x64 drive to your Win98 drive. At that time you also need to
    change the boot.ini (before you copy it) to this default line
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS unless you
    change the other two items, the default will be your Win98

    John Barnes, Jul 29, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    where do i find the boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com files ?
    current boot.ini is:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x86
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    but this doesnt get me into win98 (says ntoskrnl.exe cannt be found)
    but i can get back into x64 still

    what do i use for new boot.ini?

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x86
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    and i copy this to the I drive?

    thanks for helping by the way, much appreciated in this time of desperation!

    Guest, Jul 29, 2005
  11. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    The first partition on the drive that you have x64 on. Since you have x64
    on the first partition according to your boot.ini, go to my computer, right
    click on the x64 drive and select explore. It will be a file on that
    partition. You do have to show system files. You can find that option in
    control panel, folder options and select show hidden files and folders.
    Edit the boot.ini with notepad as below and save, then do an explore on
    the windows 98 drive and copy the three files over to the 98 drive. ALWAYS
    to be on the safe side, make a new folder on your x64 drive and copy the 3
    files into it before you make ANY changes. Then when you reboot, change the
    boot order in your BIOS so that your win98 drive is the first HARD DDRIVE in
    the boot order. You can still leave the CD as the first item in the boot
    order. Good luck.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /noexecute=optin
    /fastdetect

    John Barnes, Jul 29, 2005
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ok i done all that now and can get into win98 (albeit in safe mode)
    unfortunately win98 doesnt recognise NTFS drives, so im going to reinstall
    x64 (again) in fat32 format.
    oh dont i love computers :rollseyes:

    Guest, Jul 30, 2005
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    If you set your computer to boot to the cd you can format, partition and
    install xp32 on c: then boot to the xp64 install it on d: The drive needs to
    be at least 80 gigs.

    Guest, Jul 30, 2005
  14. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Probably video drivers you need to get into Win98. You probably need to
    uninstall the current drivers in safe mode, and the install the drivers for
    your new computer's video card after you start up with the default drivers.

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    i spent about 11 hours trying to fix this yesterday, i got a friend coming
    over today to help me out, if he cant do it then im just going to buy another
    hard drive.

    If I take out both current hard drives neither system should boot right? and
    I can put in a new clean one, and start from scratch ?

    Guest, Jul 30, 2005
  16. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    That's correct

    Make sure you have it plugged in and seated. Does it work when you are in
    the BIOS?
    No drivers are needed in either system for basic mouse functions, so I think
    you have a hardware problem, either not seated (probable) or defective (try
    another mouse)

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    The mouse problem ive fixed, im just using another one, as the one i used was
    a wireless and USB, which win98 was having problems with
    ive just reformatted c drive as FAT32 with x64 on, but win98 still cant see it

    now to help everything, my DVD-RW has stopped working, so I have to use my
    old DVD ROM

    and my unreliable mate didnt turn up either.

    Guest, Jul 30, 2005
  18. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Doesn't look like you need your mate. Where exactly don't you see your c
    drive from win98? What shows up in my computer, system tools, device
    manager?
    Is the other drive there anywhere

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005
  19. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ok, i restarted win98 and it saw the partition with x64 on, so i formatted
    it, am now installing xp home, as xp pro didnt work, so all is well at the
    moment, apart form the dvd-rw which hopefully i can get working once i got
    this set up
    I'll let you know how i get on.

    Guest, Jul 30, 2005
  20. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Hope you didn't forget you need those files that were saved. If you have
    overwritten them, and since you are installing an older version of Windows
    last, you will either have to install x64 again or dig the two ntldr and
    ntdetect.com files from your x64 install disk and put them on your root
    drive (and on your other drive so you can change the boot order or if you
    have a drive failure). You can fix your boot.ini manually.

    John Barnes, Jul 30, 2005