    floppy image from bootdisk.com, run the makedisk to get a physical floppy
    and then boot with it. All you need to run is the fdisk. Then you should
    be able to start from scratch.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005

  2. You cannot format the system drive with Disk Management.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thanks, i might have to resort to one of them, i dont have a external hard
    drive, but i got another internal one running win98 SE. my computer doesnt
    have a floppy drive, but I could knick that from my old computer too i guess.

    anybody else got any more ideas?

    Guest, Jul 27, 2005
  4. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Works for me. He can wipe his drive and set up and format all the
    partitions he wants. Or you can just install x86 on your other partition .
    First copy the ntldr and ntdetect.com and the boot.ini on the C drive to a
    folder on the drive. After the install you can copy over the ones that x86
    puts on the C drive and after you boot up again, you can fix the boot.ini in
    System Properties.

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    i cant do the 2nd option as x64 wont let me install a x86 OS.
    hence why i just want to wipe the drive now, I guess putting in another old
    drive or the boot up disc is the only option.

    Guest, Jul 27, 2005
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Strange that you can't install x86. Are you using your x86 install disk?
    Quite a number of posters here have done it.

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  7. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Just to clarify, you do have to boot to the x86 cd and it doesn't even
    recognise x64 as a system when it shows you the other Windows installations
    on your system.

    John Barnes, Jul 27, 2005
  8. I will never buy a computer without a floppy as long as I might need to use
    a password diskette, an emergency diskette, or provide a SATA driver during
    Setup. By the way, do the external floppy drives work during Setup?
    Anybody?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2005
  9. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Robbo.

    If you keep it simple, it's EASY! If you try to get too sophisticated, you
    wind up in the mess you've described. :>( Just remember the golden rule of
    installing dual boot: Always install the NEWEST Windows LAST.

    Since you're starting with a new computer...

    Plan ahead. Each Windows installation needs to be in a separate volume
    (primary partition, or logical drive in an extended partition); Microsoft
    calls this the "boot volume" (home to \Windows, the "boot folder") for that
    installation, so you will have multiple boot volumes if you have multiple
    Windows installations. But no matter how many or how few copies (mix or
    match) of Windows you plan, there will be just ONE System Partition for the
    whole computer. The System Partition (typically C:) will start the process
    of loading Windows, then will branch to wherever C:\Boot.ini points to load
    your choice from the operating system menu. So plan which volume you will
    use to install 32-bit WinXP and which you will use for x64. You may or may
    not choose to let ONE of those share C: with the system files, but either of
    them can go into just about any volume on just about any HD in your
    computer. Decide in advance how many partitions you will need and how large
    each should be.

    Boot from the WinXP 32-bit CD-ROM. One of the first options in Setup is to
    (re)partition and format your HD. Let it delete all existing partitions.
    Then create the System Partition - and, if different, the boot volume where
    32-bit WinXP will be installed. Then let Setup format the volume(s) and
    install 32-bit WinXP, as usual.

    After 32-bit WinXP is installed, boot into that and run Disk Management to
    create and format at least one more volume, where you will install WinXP
    x64. If you want other volumes for applications, data or whatever, you can
    create them now or later, using Disk Management, from either x86 or x64..
    DM can handle any volumes EXCEPT the System Partition and the current boot
    volume. When you are booted into x86, the x86 volume is off limits, but the
    x64 boot volume is "just another volume", and vice versa when you boot into
    x64.

    Then boot from the WinXP x64 CD-ROM and install x64 on the other volume.
    Setup will automatically update the system files in C:, including updating
    C:\boot.ini, then it will install x64 wherever you say, including creating
    and formatting that volume if it hasn't been done yet.

    Lots of warnings and caveats, I know, but the whole process is really quite
    simple and straightforward - unless you step off the narrow pathway into the
    quagmire.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jul 27, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    thanks a lot, that clarified most things i knew, or have learnt during the
    process. I already know most of that, i planned my partitions too, one for
    windows, one for work, one for games, etc only problem is I broke the golden
    rule, so to speak, which is why im here (as well as on other sites) trying to
    get a solution to my problem!

    Guest, Jul 28, 2005
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Im using windows xp pro 32bit, it installed normalled on the first attempt
    apart from it missed files from the i386 folder, so i tried to reinstall but
    always came uo with errors

    Guest, Jul 28, 2005
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    i boot from x86 cd, it goes to the install screen but seems to come up with
    errors so cannot continue.
    IT does recognise x64, but Id rather it didnt as I need x64 out of the way
    to install x86 !

    Guest, Jul 28, 2005
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Just to clarify, Robbo. You have to go into your system BIOS and change the
    boot order so that CD boots before Hard Disk. Usually the boot order is the
    second line down from the main menu of the BIOS and says something like
    "advanced settings."

    After saving BIOS, put the XP install disk into the CD drive and restart. It
    will say something like "press any key to boot CD," so do that to start the
    XP installation. Tell it you want a new installation, not repair using
    recovery console. Eventually it will show you the partitions on your disk and
    if it has any empty space. Since you want to blow away the XP64 installation
    and make it after you make the regular XP installation, select each partition
    and delete them.

    Once it says you have an empty disk, I would create a 32750 MB partition and
    tell the XP installer to install Windows XP into the first partition. (FAT
    vs. NTFS and quick format vs. full format are other choices that don't really
    matter.) You could make the XP boot partition bigger, but then you have to
    use NTFS. Whatever you do, leave some empty space on the disk for the later
    XP64 installation.

    When the XP installation completes, you should have XP on C and some empty
    space on the your disk to use when doing the XP64 install.

    Guest, Jul 28, 2005
  14. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Robbo.

    One phrase in that last post worries me:
    You need one volume for EACH installation of Windows. In other words, one
    for 32-bit WinXP and a separate one for WinXP x64.

    I've always liked to keep my System Partition separate from the various Boot
    Volumes. So, I use a very small (1 GB or less) primary partition at the
    front of my first HD. This becomes Drive C: and holds C:\NTLDR,
    C:\NTDETECT.COM and C:\Boot.ini - and not much else. As my system evolves,
    NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM get updated to the latest versions whenever I install
    a newer Windows, so now the x64 versions are in place. (The 32-bit versions
    are archived, but only as history; they'll never be needed again.) Boot.ini
    gets updated to fit the new lineup.

    Then I create an extended partition using all the rest of the HD, and create
    logical drives within it as needed. When I installed 32-bit WinXP, I put it
    into D:; my Data volume is E:; other HDs and volumes come and go from time
    to time. That lets me install x64 into X:\Windows, for example, if I choose
    to do that. And X: might be a logical drive on my first HD, or it might be
    either a primary partition or a logical drive on my second HD.

    The possible variations in your HD/volume configuration are almost endless
    and entirely up to you. Just remember: Each Windows in a separate Boot
    Volume, and install the newest one LAST.

    RC

    R. C. White, Jul 28, 2005
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I did one partition for each windows edition :) but thats for the concern, i
    used 10Gb for each one, I thought that would be sufficient.
    I'll do the 1GB system drive a go next time I install though.
    thanks for info

    Guest, Jul 29, 2005
  16. Guest

    Guest Guest

    That doesnt work, as XP disc wont load into the install far enough to select
    partitions to delete.
    I used the x64 disc to format all partitions and pulled the disc out before
    it started to install, hence should wipe the hard drive. it said it needed
    the disc so cant continue, i restarted the computer and it said error loading
    operating system, brilliant i thought, so i can now install XP, but it still
    came up with some error so i had to resort to installing x64 again

    will be pulling the computer apart later to put in a floppy drive and my old
    hard drive to hopefully wipe the current one completely.

    Guest, Jul 29, 2005
  17. I feel for you. I insisted on a floppy drive on my newest machine for just
    these reasons. Also, since I run VPC a floppy is still very usefull with
    legacy OS's.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2005
  18. Odd. I ran into the same issue installing Vista on a second drive on a
    32bit system, except the xp side stayed up and the Vista side stopped
    detecting drives.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2005
  19. With a lot of backup programs you make a rescue cd. I have had very spotty
    results from these. I have had better reports from imaging backup programs
    like TrueImage from Acronis, but I don't use it myself.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2005
  20. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have windows 64, and xp installed on diffrent drives my xp version seems to
    have become bad, won't boot if you try to enter safe mode it loads some
    devices the just reboots, now i am trying to repair or reinstall but when the
    windows xp cd boots it tells me there is no drives found, is there a
    workaround for this... i did a backup with acronis image but it will not
    install on xp 64 so i can't restore form there..

    Thanks gary

    Guest, Jul 29, 2005