    way I could check out the driver/program support without committing myself
    totally.

    Klaus

    Guest, Jul 14, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005

  3. Guest

    Harry Ohrn Guest

    Yes I'm running it that way.

    Harry Ohrn, Jul 14, 2005
  4. Hello,
    Correct, the only thing I like to add is that each OS must be installed to
    it's own partition.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <Subject: Re: dual boot install?
    <Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:40:37 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Yes, it can be, install Windows XP 32bit first though, and then boot off
    the
    <cd and install XP Pro x64.
    <--
    <Andre
    <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <
    <<> Can WinXP 64 be installed as a dual boot along side WinXP Professional?
    <> That
    <> way I could check out the driver/program support without committing
    myself
    <> totally.
    <>
    <> Klaus
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jul 14, 2005
  5. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Klaus.

    Yes, as Andre said. Just boot from the x64 CD-ROM and install to a
    different volume (primary partition or logical drive) than your x86
    installation.

    There is a new caveat in addition to the usual ones. You will note that
    your x64 boot volume will include TWO "\Program Files" folders; one will be
    named "\Program Files (x86)". Since this was new in x64, I assumed that it
    was for 64-bit programs. WRONG! Go with the new name, not with the fact
    that it is new in x64. This new x86 folder is for the 32-bit versions of
    your applications. X64 should handle installations of new programs
    properly, but it gets tricky for programs already installed (even into a
    "neutral" volume) under 32-bit WinXP. Darrell can explain the details; it's
    still confusing to me. ;^}

    RC

    R. C. White, Jul 14, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  7. Guest

    Al Sweringen Guest

    Or its own seperate Hard Drive : ) is even better.

    Al Sweringen, Jul 14, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks to everyone. I will try the separate drive suggestion.

    Guest, Jul 14, 2005
  9. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Darrell, what happens if I have already installed xp64 in the only existing
    partition? Can I still create a new partition and install xp32 in it to have
    the dual boot option?

    cheers!

    Guest, Jul 14, 2005
  10. The Disk Manager tool under Computer Management does not support
    partitioning the system drive. You need a third party program to do it. If
    it were XP 32-bit installed, tools are available to partition the hard
    drive, but I am not sure if any work under x64 yet. Of course, simply
    installing a second hard drive would resolve this.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 14, 2005
  11. My suggestion would be to partition the drive in 32 bit Windows first then
    proceed to boot off the XP Pro x64 CD and install it on the partition you
    created for it.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  12. You can partition the drive with Partition Magic 8.
    Check here for some info on partitioning:
    http://partition.radified.com/

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 14, 2005
  13. Guest

    Al Sweringen Guest

    Its still much cleaner and more efficient to install the Operating Systems
    on seperate drives.
    With seperate drives, you won't lose both OS's when a drive crashes.

    Al Sweringen, Jul 15, 2005
  14. When said loose both OS's on one drive, I just realized it really does make
    sense to install on separate hard disk.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  15. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Since you already have x64 installed, make copies of ntldr and ntdetect.com
    and save them in a new folder on your drive. You didn't say what kind of
    drives you are using or how you are going to hook them up, so if SATA, I
    would unplug the x64 drive and install your x86 system then you can
    reconnect the x64 drive. Replace the ntldr and ntdetect.com on the x86
    drive with the ones copied above, correct the boot.ini files to reflect the
    way you have your drives configured. If IDE, basically do the same except
    you will probably leave both drives hooked up as master/slave when doing the
    x86 install. Remember to make sure you have the x64 files on the %root% and
    the boot.ini files on the root drive the way you want them before you shut
    down after the x86 install.

    John Barnes, Jul 15, 2005
  16. Yes, if the poster can use a second drive. It is no help on a laptop,
    however.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 15, 2005
  17. You can repartition, but the x64 Edition needs to be the last install. If you
    install 32-bit XP, it doesn't know about x64 Edition. The general rule is
    that you should always install the OSs in the order of their RTM date, with
    the latest coming last.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 15, 2005
  18. But you can simply do a repair install to fix the corrupted OS that has the
    latest RTM date through recovery console.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 16, 2005
  19. yeah. But only after first coming here and asking what to do, your x64
    partition isn't recognized and you can't find your files and so forth.
    Thought I'd save some time. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 16, 2005
  20. Guest

    - Bobb - Guest

    I've been reading these dual-boot threads and have a question about the
    install on a second drive ? I have a Win2000 system (FAT32) and agree - much
    nicer with XP64 on its own drive. So, I want to install XP64 and dual boot
    to a second drive (new install).

    I add a second drive (NTFS) and install XP64 to D (this new drive). At some
    point in time, what if I no longer need my original C drive or it fails ?
    There is no boot info on D and all XP installed apps refer to a " D " path
    What to do at that point ? How to "just remove my C drive" and run on just
    XP64 without reinstalling everything ? It does make it easier to remove my
    XP64 drive, but if my C drive fails - I'm toast.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Jul 20, 2005