    the actual words presented on a virtual silver platter would be
    preferred.

    TIA

    Me, Dec 11, 2007

  2. Me

    Whiskers Guest

    OK so far. Although you might have some hoops to jump through to convince
    Microsoft that you aren't breaking their rules, and to sort out the
    hardware drivers in the OS which is being moved to a different machine.
    I doubt if you really want that at all.
    Install a 'boot manager' in the MBR of the 'first' hard disc. For
    example <http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html> which is free.

    Whiskers, Dec 11, 2007

  3. Me

    olfart Guest

    This isn't excactly what you are looking for but I have a Vista/XP setup and
    I just used the boot menu to select the hard drive I want to boot to. One
    word of warning...use device manager to disable the drive you are not using
    for both XP and Vista. If you don't you will have problems with system
    restore if you shoud ever need it. I use a 3rd HD for all my Documents, Data
    etc so I can access it from either O/S

    olfart, Dec 11, 2007
  4. Me

    why? Guest

    Much better to do that.

    The nice thing here is gets rid off all the collected rubbish, gives you
    2 nice clean OS install and Vista installed after XP haddles the booting
    menus automatically.
    You have at least 2 disks both with a primary active bootable partition
    from different PCs

    A single PC generally won't know how to access both. If there is a BIOS
    option you can select to boot from HDD0 or HDD1, not nice as you have to
    edit the BIOS setting each time.

    Both drives in thier own USB external case, and boot that way connecting
    / disconnecting as needed. Not something I would think about doing but
    may work.
    You are serious?
    You want to boot from 1 HDD with a partition manager that swaps the
    active partitions around. Again would be best with a small bootable
    partition then partitions for the 2 OS.
    You are serious?
    By now, you can guess NOT :)
    Getting sillier.

    However the floppy method works for Linux very well. Can't think of
    anything offhand that works on a floppy for XP/Vista.
    Won't work.

    Going with the @echo off method, IMO don't try boot managers either it's
    not something you want to try.

    Me

    why?, Dec 11, 2007
  5. Me

    Pennywise Guest

    Google" dual boot vista xp

    Gets this as one hit:
    http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

    You don't need to separate the drives, you can have vista and XP on
    the same drive, different partitions (I'm pretty sure, it's how my
    dual boots work).

    Other than the restore problem mentioned no problems and you will be
    met with the option of which OS to boot from.

    As for the restore problem use ERUNT and don't worry about it.

    -tho I read that vista's restore is much more functional than before.

    Pennywise, Dec 11, 2007