Dual boot blues

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by D. Castano, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. D. Castano

    D. Castano Guest

    Hi all,

    After all the dual boot instructions you guys have posted, I managed to mess
    up my computer anyway. Maybe one of you will help me if I promise to follow
    directions.

    I started with XP64. Then I brought an old drive that had XP32 on it,
    reinstalled the system to try to get a dual boot (I know I shouldn't have
    done that but I was in a hurry and needed to get XP32 working) and it seemed
    to have worked...but not really. I got a dual boot alright but now the XP32
    works and the XP64 doesn't. When I select XP64 I get the following message:

    Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    please reinstall a copy of the above file

    I'm not even sure where I would find this file to copy. Yeah, I know that I
    should know but I just don't.

    When I try to start from the XP64 CD, I end up on a C:\WINDOWS> prompt with
    little indication as to what to do.

    The machine works fine on XP32 but I would like to get my XP64 back.

    Anyone, anyone?

    Thanks,

    Diego

    D. Castano, Oct 18, 2006

  2. You need to:

    1.) copy the nt* files from the root directory of the drive that has the x64
    boot on it, into the root drive of your 32-bit boot.
    2.) edit the boot.ini file on the 32-bit boot drive to add a second line to
    point to your 64bit install.

    The second one can be a bit tricky, you need to figure out what Windows
    would call that drive and partition. It will probably be something like:
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP x64 Edition", but I
    don't know unless I know what your hard drives are, what the order of them
    is, and what partitions are on them. A sometimes easier way is to use the
    fixboot command, as described in my blog on multi-boot.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 18, 2006

  3. D. Castano

    John Barnes Guest

    Using the bootcfg /rebuild command will allow the system to rebuild the
    boot.ini with the ARC paths the way windows sees them.

    John Barnes, Oct 18, 2006
  4. D. Castano

    John Barnes Guest

    If you installed xp32 without changing the boot priority, you probably
    overwrote the ntldr and ntdetect.com files from x64 and will need to restore
    them from the XP X64 install CD. With system files visible you should be
    able to drag and drop them from the CD putting them on the 'system drive' as
    shown in disk management. For safety, I always advise copying the 3 files
    into a new folder you create on the root of your system drive.

    John Barnes, Oct 18, 2006
  5. that's the one, yes. thanks.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 18, 2006
  6. D. Castano

    D. Castano Guest

    All,

    Does it make a difference that I have an AMD-based machine? I say this
    because when I go look for the ntldr and ntdetect.com files on the root
    directory of my XP 64bit drive the files are just not there. I did find
    them on the XP 32 drive. I also looked in the XP64 bit install CD like John
    suggested and could not find them.

    I followed Charlie's steps on his blog but when I got to the "copy nt*.*
    c:\" I couldn't go on because the files are just not there.

    Diego.

    D. Castano, Oct 18, 2006
  7. D. Castano

    John Barnes Guest

    You will find them in the :\I386 file on the install CD make sure
    you are set to show system files when you do your search.

    John Barnes, Oct 18, 2006
  8. D. Castano

    D. Castano Guest

    Alright!!! I'm back in business. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

    Now, should I tempt faith and try to install Vista... :).

    Thanks for the great help,

    Diego

    D. Castano, Oct 18, 2006
  9. D. Castano

    D. Castano Guest

    Charlie,

    EasyBCD gives me a "The application failed to initialize properly
    (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application" error message. I
    tried v1.2 and 1.5

    Any cues?

    Diego

    D. Castano, Oct 19, 2006