    of DOS or WinXP x64.

    Thanks,
    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 14, 2005

  3. Lynn McGuire

    Guest Guest

    Ensure you're using a different partition for each, as there are different
    cores, and some directories have different purpose : for instance
    \windows\system32 is for 64-bit modules in x64, etc...

    Guest, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    Ensure you're using a different partition for each, as there are different
    Yeah, I had noted \windows\system32 ... seems kind of short sighted.
    I would have thought that the new directory would be \windows\system64.

    But, no telling what software depends on that directory being in that place.

    Lynn

    Lynn McGuire, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Hello Andre,
    You don't need to do a repair after installing 32-bit Windows as long as
    you install to a different partition/drive.
    The only files that come into play are the files in the root of the boot
    device.
    So that should be boot.ini which should be fine.
    NTLDR and NTdetect which should be backed up first and then replaced after
    installing 32-bit Windows.
    You should be good to go.
    Repair is overkill for this.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <>
    <Subject: Re: dual boot after the fact
    <Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:40:17 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <If you create a new partition in x64 and install Windows XP 32-bit, you
    will
    <have do a repair install of XP Pro x64, sine you are installing an older
    <version of Windows.
    <--
    <Andre
    <Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <
    <<>I have a brand new dual Opteron PC that I am running WinXP x64 on.
    <>
    <> I would like to convert this to a dual boot PC with Win XP Pro 32. Do
    <> I have to install a separate partition ? Here is my drive C: info:
    <> Drive C: 40,376,800,000 bytes free, 72,587,968,000 bytes total, 44% full.
    <>
    <> I already am kinda dual booted since my C: drive was formatted was
    <> FAT32 and DOS 7.1 installed on it. When I boot, it give me a choice
    <> of DOS or WinXP x64.
    <>
    <> Thanks,
    <> Lynn
    <>
    <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 15, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 15, 2005