    this feature. A rebel XT class DSLR would be fine if it had a
    microphone.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Aug 18, 2006

    tomm42 Guest

    It isn't a simple camera but the Nikon D2H I believe has a microphone.

    Tom

    tomm42, Aug 18, 2006

  3. I'm looking for one under $2,500, preferring 8 megapixels
    or more. I don't need speed, but low noise (large pixels)
    is a requirement.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Aug 18, 2006
  4. Would the Sony R1 be a candidate? It's got the nice big sensor, and
    coming from the P&S world, it might have a microphone.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Aug 18, 2006
  5. I've only seen it in pro DSLRs and in consumer compacts (e.g. the
    Nikon Coolpix L2) - nothing in the rebel class .

    But a small MP3 recording device like IRiver iFP 799 has a built-in
    microphone, takes up almost no space, and can be used for voice
    annotations.

    Of course it is not as convienient as recording comments with the
    image itself, but I introduce each comment with a short oral
    description of scene (or just the time of day) to match comments to
    photographs later.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 18, 2006
  6. I couldn't find if it has sound on the dpreview site.

    The purpose for the camera is documenting samples in my lab, and
    I need a 1:1 macro lens that works at a distance through
    a window viewing a cryogenic sample preparation area.
    Currently I have a Canon 20D with a 180 mm macro giving about
    6 microns/pixel on the subject. But the 20D
    gets used by other people and trying to take notes
    and trying to correlate images with notes as samples are prepared
    is very tedious in post processing and requires careful
    synchronization of time stamps. A microphone tagging
    info about each picture would save a lot of time.
    And time is money.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Aug 18, 2006

    ink Guest

    I do the same, with an Olympus digital voice recorder, then take the voice
    data onto the PC where I store the photos as well. This one has voice
    activation, so you don't have to press a REC button all the time.
    I use the image preview on the screen of my D200 and mention the image
    number as stored in the camera as a link. Not as convenient as if the camera
    had the mic built in, but it works pretty nicely for me.

    Cheers,
    ink

    ink, Aug 18, 2006

    jtur Guest

    Hello, ink:

    The Olympus W-10 might interest you. It's a little device that combines
    a digital voice recorder with a digicam (640x480).

    The W-10 can record up to 3 hours of audio and store up to 250 images.
    Its 16MB of built-in flash memory can't be upgraded, alas, and the low
    resolution is another drawback.

    However, it could be fun to play around with, and even be useful,
    at times. Olympus introduced it, several years ago, and it's available
    fairly cheaply, now; the W-10 is readily found on eBay, for under
    $50USD.

    (I don't own one, incidentally.)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>