DSLR & SD cards - does speed matter

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ps56k, Jan 22, 2009.

  1. ps56k

    ps56k Guest

    I was doing some reading on flash drives,
    and came across some info regarding different speeds/performance of flash
    cards
    when used with digital cameras - ie, higher end DSLR
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card

    I was wondering if you have tried or noticed any shoot & save speed
    differences
    when using different "speed" cards - not size, but "class" ?

    ---
    SDHC cards adhere to the SD Speed Class Rating specification
    which defines a minimum sustained transfer speed and use the FAT32 file
    system.

    The SD Speed Class Ratings specify a minimum sustained write speed for SDHC
    cards:
    Class 2: 2 MB/s;
    Class 4: 4 MB/s;
    Class 6: 6 MB/s;

    ps56k, Jan 22, 2009

  2. ps56k

    Simon Edge Guest

    I was wondering if you have tried or noticed any shoot & save speed
    It can make a difference on the higher end pro-sumer DSLRs and up.
    Certainly so when you're talking four-figure prices - Single digit Nikons
    come to mind most strongly.

    No personal experience though - this poor D50 user has class two cards and
    likes them.

    Simon Edge, Jan 22, 2009

  3. ps56k

    Roy G Guest

    I rather suspect that your figures regarding card speeds are wrong. 6Mb/s
    is a rather slow speed.

    Many cards have speeds up to 45Mb/s, (Sandisk Ducati for example). I also
    suspect that while the actual speeds acheived will be a bit below the makers
    quoted max speed, they will still be well above 6 Mb/s..

    Most of the higher end DSLRs use Compact Flash not SD or SDHC.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 23, 2009
  4. ps56k

    tomcas Guest

    One of the best speed guides for flash cards on DSLR

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    tomcas, Jan 23, 2009