dslr renting

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by greensteak, May 12, 2004.

  1. greensteak

    greensteak Guest

    I'm eventually going to upgrade from the Sony DSCF717 to a digital slr
    camera.

    This group, along with websites such as Dpreview.com, are major
    information sources as to what models suit my needs. But.............I
    want to try before I buy. Not a non-functional demo, but the real
    thing. Where does one go to rent or otherwise try out digital camera
    equipment?

    This seems to me a problem that can best be solved by the ol' "call
    around" drill. I just thought I'd see if anyone has tried this, or can
    tell me that it's a darn near impossible feat. By the way, the best
    camera shop in town (I live in a town of around 60,000 people)has
    already referred me to the closest major city, around 70 miles away,
    to start my search.

    Thanks,

    GS

    greensteak, May 12, 2004

  2. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so there are pro shops within
    relatively easy driving range where gear can be rented. My wife was
    thinking about buying a Digital Rebel, so she went to one -- they did not
    rent the Rebel, as the cost of preparing it after every use exceeded the
    rental price. They rented only top o' the line stuff, so she talked to the
    people there and decided to rent a similar "pro" version and try it
    out. She was satisfied that the results and operation were similar enough
    (after comparing manuals and cameras in the store) that she did buy the
    Rebel.

    If you're a 70-mile drive from your nearest rental source, the cost of the
    drive, the time it takes round trip, and the aggravation become real
    issues if you're renting one camera for a day or two.

    Doing a Google on
    "camera rental"
    turned up a few ads and several listings for companies promising nationwide
    rentals. Check your favorite search engine and see what pops up that fits
    your needs and schedule.

    Phil Stripling, May 12, 2004

  3. greensteak

    Bob Hatch Guest

    Where is the "closest major city". If Portland, OR call Pro Photo Supply.
    They have a full rental department.

    Bob Hatch, May 12, 2004
  4. Another option is just buy one. If you don't like it, sell it on ebay.
    You'll probably get more than you paid for it. hahahahaha.

    Brad Thompson, May 12, 2004
  5. If there is a Calumet (http://www.calumetphoto.com/) in one of those cities 70
    miles away, they rent DSLRs, lenses, and lights.

    Michael Meissner, May 12, 2004
  6. greensteak

    PhotoGizmo Guest

    GS, at least here in Toronto, Canada, one store charges > 5 % of the camera
    price per day of rental! Don't think it is cheap - they target pros. Indeed,
    you would lose AS MUCH by buying it and selling 2 weeks later on EBay! But
    in the latter case it's yours and you can test it as much as you can.

    PhotoGizmo, May 12, 2004
  7. Especially if you have your picture taken in your ex-wife's wedding
    dress holding the camera. :->

    Phil Stripling, May 12, 2004
  8. greensteak

    Bob Hatch Guest

    This guy was on one of the morning shows this week. The final bidder on the
    dress backed out and did not pay for the dress. The guy that was selling it
    on ebay says that to sell it now would be like selling the golden fleece.
    He's booking comedy routines and at the end of the set goes back stage, gets
    into the dress and models it for the crowd.

    He did OK with the deal.

    Bob Hatch, May 12, 2004
  9. greensteak

    Sorby Guest

    I was going to recommend them too.
    Over here in the UK Calumet reimburse half of your rental fee if you
    purchase the same model within a given time period.

    Sorby, May 12, 2004
  10. greensteak

    bagal Guest

    this sounds good - i may seek a q DSLR

    do they do GPS devices too?

    bagal, May 12, 2004
  11. greensteak

    Sorby Guest

    a 'q' DSLR?
    Don't think so - why would they?

    Sorby, May 12, 2004
  12. greensteak

    greensteak Guest

    Thanks for the information. Orlando is 70 miles away, and Calumet is
    nowhere near. At this point, it looks like desktop research is the
    most efficient preparation for a new camera purchase.

    Thanks again and onward I go.................

    GS

    greensteak, May 13, 2004
  13. For SLRs, the choices are so few that desktop preparation really is
    sufficient.

    First eliminate any camera with less than 6 Mpixels, this eliminates the
    Olympus E1 and the Sigma SD-10

    Second narrow it down by price. There are basically three consumer D-SLRs
    and three Prosumer D-SLRs, and two professional D-SLRs worth considering:

    For Consumer, look at the Canon EOS-300D, the Nikon D70 and the Pentax *istD

    For Prosumer, look at the Canon EOS-10D, the Fuji S2 Pro, and the Nikon
    D100.

    For Professional, look at the Canon EOS-1Ds and the EOS1D Mark II

    If you're like most people here, the choice will be between the Canon
    EOS-10D and the Nikon D70.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 14, 2004
  14. greensteak

    greensteak Guest

    Good advice. Thanks

    greensteak, May 14, 2004
  15. Here is a sample gallery that is on the web comparing the F717 to a
    Sigma SD9 DSLR...

    http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/717_sd9_s602z
    All you really need to do is download a few RAW files and the RAW
    software. With Canon/Nikon/Fuji, getting the RAW software is a
    problem since those manufacturers avoid allowing test drives. The
    good news is, you won't want to use their crappy and expensive
    software even if you buy their camera. If you have access to
    Photoshop you can use Adobe's collection of third party hacks to
    unlock the various RAW formats (and Sigma allows Adobe to use their
    RAW routines). Sigma's exceptional RAW converter is free to anyone
    who wants to drive a Sigma DSLR, as are a large number of sample RAW
    files on the Sigma site and places around the web...

    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/cameras_downloads.htm
    http://homepage.mac.com/kgelner/MiscPhoto/X3F/NightCastle.X3F
    http://www.foveon-x3-raw.de.vu/public/SD10/IMG06228_fair_decker.X3F
    (takes about 2 minutes to install and start using)

    After using the various RAW systems, you'll quickly understand (1) the
    advantages of shooting RAW with a DSLR, and (2) have a great feel for
    what the different cameras can really do, not the standard sales hype
    you get from bought-and-paid-for reviews.

    George Preddy, May 15, 2004