DSL setup help needed (urgently)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DC, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. DC

    DC Guest

    I am trying to get my father-in-law's new USB DSL modem software installed.
    He is a Bell Sympatico DSL Basic customer (or, rather, is trying to become
    one!) }:O)

    Sympatico provides diagnostic software to determine system requirement
    compliance prior to/as part of the software installation process.

    One of the reqs is that he have a min of 166MHz CPU. I know for a fact
    that he has better than this (a PIII). The problem is that the processor
    is reported by the computer as follows:

    x86 family 6 model 8 stepping 1 (or 10, I don't remember)

    The installation software then chokes on the install and will not let him
    override this step.

    Questions:

    a) How can I find out what CPU speed (in terms of MHz) he has in his PC,
    b) WTF do I do now?

    Oh, and I am 2000+ miles away from his PC so I can't do it myself. Best I
    can manage is a VNC session.

    Please help me help the old buzzard an make this moose a happy moose.

    Thanks!

    DC, Jul 16, 2003

  2. DC

    Mara Guest

    Have him download AIDA32 here:

    http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php

    and install it. Once installed, have him look under the Motherboard list. The
    CPU speed should be there.

    From AIDA32 installed on this box:

    CPU Properties
    CPU Type AMD Athlon-PECM, 1400 MHz (5.25 x 267)
    CPU Alias Thunderbird

    Mara, Jul 16, 2003

  3. DC

    DC Guest

    Thanks Mara, I'll try this. However, this will only give me info to pass
    on to his ISP's customer *cough* service *cough*.

    The trick, now, would be to override the bloody software...

    }:O\

    I'm open to any and all suggestions, folks. I don't want to make hime
    call them. He is an ISP help desk's worst nightmare!!!

    DC, Jul 16, 2003
  4. DC

    Billh Guest

    Did you get the USB modem because he does not have a NIC? If he has a nic
    why not get the Ethernet modem. Even if he does not have a NIC have him buy
    and see if you can get working a USB Ethernet adaptor then have him get the
    Ethernet modem. Or call the service desk your self and see if they have
    work around for the drives hitting the brick wall on the cpu issue maybe
    there is a update you don't have.

    Also you might look at the subfolders on the cd install and see if the
    drivers for the modem are sitting in a folder that you could manually
    install skipping the "full" install from the ISP. I prefer to do manual
    settings as the install cd is for average users and tend to install stuff
    you do not need.

    Billh, Jul 16, 2003
  5. DC

    DC Guest

    I believe he has a NIC. Why he got the USB I have no idea. I will suggest
    it if we hit a total impasse using the USB modem.

    I would suspect that an ethernet modem would probably be quicker too, yes?
    Sadly, I have him calleing them as I type this. I tried to call, but the
    numbers they (his ISP) provide do not accept calls from my area code.

    I wish them all the best of luck. }:O)))
    That was the first thing I did via VNC session. No joy.

    Thanks for the input, BTW. I appreciate it.

    DC, Jul 16, 2003
  6. DC

    Billh Guest

    Ya get the Ethernet modem. While the USB should not limit the speed of the
    DSL modem. USB is 12 mps and the modem is only 1.5mps the 12 is shared so
    if he has a printer or digital camera or cd burner all running that would
    sure slow things down. Ethernet just seams cleaner to me.

    I would still worry about the install software you have to wonder if the
    Ethernet modem has the same cpu check in the setup program. But you would
    think once the modem was plugged in you would be more able to do the manual
    setting your self.

    Can't call from your area code you have to love it. Well let them talk to
    your father then maybe he can give them a nightmare enough to get the tech
    to call you!

    Billh, Jul 16, 2003