    stays connected. This seems to indicate to me that it is not a
    problem with my provider but rather a problem with this specific
    computer. So, could a virus do this?

    John H. Power, Jul 13, 2004

  2. John H. Power

    Brian Guest

    stop the computer hibernating...

    Brian, Jul 13, 2004

  3. My computer does not go into hibernation. Sometimes I lose the
    connection when I just don't use it but it is still up and running.

    John H. Power, Jul 13, 2004
  4. John H. Power

    Brian Guest

    oh yes it does.. check out what happens when the screen saver appears...

    Brian, Jul 13, 2004
  5. The screen saver never appears and I have the hibernation option off.
    I can get online, go off line to do some wordprocessing, then 5
    minutes later try to get online and I cannot. No standby, no
    hibernation, just a broken connection for no apparent reason which is
    why I am wondering if a virus could do this.

    John H. Power, Jul 13, 2004
  6. John H. Power

    Thor Guest

    go into your device manager, and set the ethernet controller (or the USB
    controllers/ USB root hub depending on how your DSL modem connects to your
    PC) and make sure to disable the option that allows windows to disable the
    device to save power. That may possibly help.

    Thor, Jul 13, 2004
  7. I am looking on the list for the ethernet controller and I don't see
    it. Would that be a systems device?

    Incidentally, when I was home at lunch I was online. I left my
    computer (Sony PCVRS-430G) on when I went back to work. When I got
    home I had to re-start to get back on line even though the other
    computers on the network had no problem accessing the Internet. Very
    puzzling. Could a virus cause this type of thing?

    John H. Power, Jul 13, 2004
  8. John H. Power

    Thor Guest

    It will be listed in the device manager under "network adapters". It will
    likely say "network controller" or similar. Sorry. I assumed you knew what
    "ethernet" meant in terms of the controller hardware.
    Not likely, but not impossible. Check the Microsoft Knowledge base. I
    believe there are some articles dealing with this problem. I know one of the
    solutions offered is what I suggested to you.

    Thor, Jul 14, 2004
  9. John H. Power

    Duane Arnold Guest

    John, turn off your *clown* radar detection and killfile that *clown* and be
    done with it. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 14, 2004
  10. Thanks Thor. I saw that before but did not know it was related to the
    ethernet port. I have now unchecked the box and we will see if that
    makes a difference..

    John H. Power, Jul 14, 2004
  11. John H. Power

    Stuart Guest

    Have you run a virus checker on the machine?

    If it was a virus then it would probably be a random thing and you could
    be disconnected while in the middle of something, but as it seems to be
    disconnecting after a period of inactivity this suggests it is a setting
    of some kind.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Jul 14, 2004
  12. Yes, I agree. The solution Thor suggested did not work...

    John H. Power, Jul 14, 2004
  13. Yeah. I am done playing with this young man. His entertainment value
    has fizzled to zero. He is easily disposed of by simply ignoring him.

    I still have my computer problem though....

    John H. Power, Jul 14, 2004
  14. John H. Power

    Frog fucker Guest

    Then why did you ignore the fixes (2) he gave you? Either would have worked,
    but you decided to be an arse instead.

    Frog fucker, Jul 14, 2004
  15. Duane Arnold, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
    Says the ever-grinning, drooling village idiot.

    Swedish Meatball, Jul 15, 2004
  16. John H. Power, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to
    Translation: I can slink away with the best of them!
    Translation: In my contemptibly idiotic attempts to show how smart I am, I
    threw reasoning out the door and refused to listen to any help offered.

    Swedish Meatball, Jul 15, 2004
  17. John H. Power

    Duane Arnold Guest

    The *Turkey* MeatBall is on the loose. <g>

    <plonk>

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 15, 2004
  18. One question-how are the other computers, the one that still work,
    connected to the DSL modem? Are you running ICS or equivalent on this PC
    or do you have a separate router?

    If it's ICS then I'd say it's a software problem on this PC. About all I
    can suggest, short of reformatting & reinstalling Windows, would be
    uninstalling & reinstalling the drivers. Maybe the networking, too.

    If it's a separate router it might be either a hardware problem in this
    PC's NIC or a problem in the router-first, try swapping ports on the
    router & see if the problem follows the port or the PC.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jul 15, 2004
  19. I have disconnected the router (The Microsoft Base Station) hence
    taken all my other computers off the network and now my problem
    computer is directly connected to the DSL modem. I will see if I
    continue to have the problem. If I do not then I will know where the
    problem lies i.e. in the router. I have a sneaking suspicion that
    this is where the problem lies.

    I'll let you know.

    John H. Power, Jul 16, 2004