    thing Guest

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 7, 2004

  2. thing

    -[Myth]- Guest

    Maybe they are talking about non-copyright vinyls :D i doubt many of these
    exist though :p

    -[Myth]-, Sep 7, 2004

  3. thing

    EMB Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:

    Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    now wouldn't it? I certainly doubt there's many 78's left that are
    still under copyright.

    EMB, Sep 7, 2004
  4. thing

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Copyright on a hell of a lot of vinyl out there would have expired by
    now wouldn't it? [/QUOTE]

    According to this govt website, only on vinyl released
    in 1953 or earlier.

    http://www.med.govt.nz/buslt/int_prop/info-sheets/copyright-prot.html#P48_5553

    | How Long Does Protection Last?
    |
    | • Sound recordings and films: Copyright protection lasts
    | fifty years from the end of the calendar year in which
    | the sound recording or film was made or made available
    | to the public, whichever is the latter.

    The same may not be true of 33's and 45's.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Politics is the art of getting power and
    privilege without possessing merit.

    Ralph Fox, Sep 7, 2004
  5. thing

    thing Guest

    Some of Elvis's music is no longer covered by "Global" copyright, though
    in the US I believe its being extended effectively for ever so it is
    there. There seemed to be some concern that people could copy his work
    legally in Europe and export is to the US where it is not legal.

    In the US though there is the concept of fair use which allows copying
    from one media to another for personal use, in NZ this is or was not
    covered. Hence I was wondering if it now was, I recall some Govn Dept
    suggesting fair use be written into the copyright law and the big media
    concerns kicking up a fuss as it was not fair (somehow it being fair and
    allowed in the US escapes them!)

    Also I think films have a longer copyright than the standard 50 years,
    and some things less?

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 7, 2004
  6. thing

    Jamie Guest

    thing

    what planet u living on?

    regards

    Jamie, Sep 7, 2004
  7. thing

    samg Guest

    yeah that amazed me as well.

    samg, Sep 7, 2004
  8. Not at the moment IIRC. It's still a logical thing to do ... much of
    the vinyl is unobtainable now :)

    As usual, stupid laws will be ignored :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 7, 2004
  9. <picky on> I didn't think that 78's were on vinyl ... they break a lot
    easier for a start. That said, I don't know what they are either :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 7, 2004
  10. Stage shows can certainly have copyright extended ... gilbert and
    sullivan eg :)
    Still a 100 year max tho IIRC.

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 7, 2004
  11.
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2004

  12. Basically shellac with a carbon black filler IIRC - BICBW. Abrasive as
    hell.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    - Use a strong laxative to cure a bad cough. Makes you AFRAID to cough!

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 8, 2004
  13. thing

    thing Guest

    and your comment is useful because?

    regards

    thing

    thing, Sep 8, 2004
  14. he was just checking which planet you live on as the copyright law there
    may differ :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 8, 2004
  15. thing

    theseus Guest

    Probably the one where people used to record their LPs onto cassette tape in
    a foolish and misguided attempt to kill the recording industry and reduce
    supergroups and media moguls to abject poverty.

    theseus, Sep 8, 2004
  16.
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2004
  17.
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 8, 2004
  18. thing

    Invisible Guest

    They made great frisbees if I remember right ;-0

    Invisible, Sep 8, 2004
  19. thing

    Mutlley Guest

    Yep . There were 78s on vinyl up until about the mid 60s in the US..
    You get the latest hit on vinyl 45 or 78..and colors other than
    black..:)

    Mutlley, Sep 8, 2004
  20. thing

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Also I think films have a longer copyright than the standard 50 years, [/QUOTE]

    So you think the Ministry of Economic Development has it stated wrong
    on their website? Or, are you thinking of another country's laws?

    Indeed so.

    Ralph Fox, Sep 8, 2004