    the battery and the spare but after insertion the camera will not
    switch on. I get no power at all. I have pressed the reset button but
    still nothing happens. Any clues? Thanks

    nwtdigitalcameras, Dec 8, 2007

  2. nwtdigitalcameras

    ASAAR Guest

    Just a long shot. Does the p12 use a removeable button cell to
    retain some memory and keep the clock running when the main
    batteries are removed or dead? Some (not very many, actually)
    electronic devices will appear totally dead if the backup battery is
    dead or missing. Also, in case the charger is defective and seems
    to be charging but actually isn't, do you have another charger to
    try? If your P12 uses NiMH AA batteries (instead of Li-Ion), you
    can try using a pair of fresh alkaline or lithium AA cells instead.

    ASAAR, Dec 9, 2007

  3. nwtdigitalcameras

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, ASAAR:

    On a related topic, I have an old Texas Instruments notebook computer
    (Extensa 515), that appears to be completely dead. I hadn't used it, at
    all, for several years; now, it does absolutely nothing, either on
    battery or AC power.

    Do you think the button cell (for the BIOS) could be the culprit? (Even
    if it is, I can't determine how to access the damned thing!)

    Thanks, for any advice.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 11, 2007
  4. nwtdigitalcameras

    ASAAR Guest

    It's worth trying, but you'll have to open the case and look for
    something. It's more likely to be a small NiCD battery that's
    soldered onto the main circuit board and would need to be replaced.
    It that's what it is, either NiCD or NiMH would work, but getting
    something small enough to fit may be a problem. Maybe you could use
    an AAA battery case velcro'd to the outside of the laptop, if you
    don't mind looking at something resembling a little digital
    colostomy bag. :) If I get around to it, I may have to deal with
    that too for my old TI Travelmate 6160 which may have last been
    powered up 5 or 6 years ago. With Win95 on it, I'm sure that it
    still boots up faster than WinXP on my current desktop computer, if
    it'll boot up at all.

    ASAAR, Dec 11, 2007
  5. nwtdigitalcameras

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, ASAAR:

    Well, I'm hoping it uses something like the little CR2032 (3 volt
    lithium cell), which both of my desktop systems' AT mainboards (Tyan
    S1830S "Tsunami") contain; it's not soldered in, luckily.

    As for disassembling the Extensa 515, itself, I didn't get too far in
    my lone attempt. I tried prying the case apart, with an expired credit
    card -- yet, quit, out of fear of causing damage to it.

    My "Googling" hasn't revealed enough clues about cracking this baby
    open, either. The TI is an ancient (circa 1995), Pentium 100MHz/8MB
    RAM/810MB HDD/Win95 machine, handed down to me, by a relative. Puny
    as it is, it's still somewhat better than my only other laptop PC, a
    Toshiba T4400C (486 50MHz/32MB/210MB/Win3.1/DOS 6.2).

    The 1992-vintage, T4400C was my very first eBay purchase (in March of
    2002) and it took me three full years to get it running correctly. I
    spent far too much time, effort and money toward that goal and also,
    in upgrading the Toshiba's CPU and memory.

    But, hey, it was a good learning experience...I learned not to do such
    stupid things, anymore! :-J

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Dec 13, 2007
  6. Hi,

    From the instructions there is a small battery. The instructions state
    that the small battery will recharge after a charged battery is left
    in the camera for 24 hrs. I have tried that with no luck. Are you
    familiar with the small batteries? Could I remove it and replace it
    with another? Thanks.

    joe

    nwtdigitalcameras, Jan 10, 2008
  7. nwtdigitalcameras

    ASAAR Guest

    I'm familiar with small batteries, but not with the dsc-P12. From
    what you've said here, I'd think that the rechargeable battery is
    soldered internally, and isn't designed to be user-replaceable. If
    this is the case you'd probably have to send the camera back to be
    repaired, as I think that if an attempt to replace an internal,
    soldered battery was made, more than 99% of the cameras would be
    further damaged by the owners. There's also a very slim chance that
    the battery is good, but the camera's internal computer needs a
    *real* reset. Reset buttons that are connected to a CPU's reset
    line should work, but some devices don't operate that way, and use
    the CPU to "poll" the reset line. I've had some devices (radios)
    that *seemed* to recognize the reset button, but not enough to
    eliminate all errors. The only thing that worked was to remove the
    battery for a sufficiently long time. For the radios, this was on
    the order of minutes to hours. For cameras, it may be much worse,
    as I recall one manual (I think this was in a Sony manual that I
    read several years ago) stated that if the camera's main battery was
    removed, the internal battery would run down after about a month.
    This would eventually allow the camera to reset, but that's an
    inconveniently long time to wait.

    If I was in your situation and thought that I'd need to use a
    camera within a couple of months, I'd buy a new one, and then
    instead of throwing the P12 away, I'd remove its battery for two
    months. Then I'd charge the battery, and put it back in the camera
    for at least several hours before trying to turn it back on. If it
    works, I'd (you'd) now have two working cameras, with a decision to
    make as to which one would be the primary, and which one would be
    the backup camera. :) If you won't need to use the camera for
    several months, try it. If it works, you won't need to buy another
    camera. Good luck!

    ASAAR, Jan 13, 2008