    sort out this problem?
    Thanks
    Paul.

    paul.m.uk, Oct 4, 2005

  2. paul.m.uk

    gwtc Guest

    A guy says to his mechanic: "I'm hearing a strange noise in my motor.
    What is it?"

    Don't be that guy above. We need more info. What drivers? What are
    you talking about?

    gwtc, Oct 4, 2005

  3. paul.m.uk

    paul.m.uk Guest

    But that's the thing... I don't know what driver. The microsoft online
    crash analysis site was pretty unhelpful really, all it could tell me
    was that it was a driver that was causing the problem but it didn't
    identify any particular driver. I'm all up to date as far as Windows
    Update is concerned, I might try uninstalling a few non-essential
    drivers see if it makes any difference.

    paul.m.uk, Oct 4, 2005
  4. Try a Scandisk.

    I have had similar problems with Firefox crashing, although in itself
    not crashing the computer, that can happen randomly. I tried completely
    uninstalling Firefox 1.0.7 and deleting all the created folders (saved
    bookmarks of course), this seemed to clear some other minor issues with
    Firefox, but it has crashed once since, pointing to 'send error report'
    etc, both Microsft and Mozilla.

    Look in Control Panel > Administration Tools > Event Viewer see if you
    can spot the time/error in eith the Application or System Folders, this
    may tell you some more. Double click on the row, you can also copy the
    info if you want to post it here. My Firefox one looks like this...

    <snip>
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 03/10/2005
    Time: 20:18:21
    User: N/A
    Computer: XPNEW
    Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.0.7.0, faulting module
    firefox.exe, version 1.0.7.0, fault address 0x000b0250.

    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 69 72 ure fir
    0018: 65 66 6f 78 2e 65 78 65 efox.exe
    0020: 20 31 2e 30 2e 37 2e 30 1.0.7.0
    0028: 20 69 6e 20 66 69 72 65 in fire
    0030: 66 6f 78 2e 65 78 65 20 fox.exe
    0038: 31 2e 30 2e 37 2e 30 20 1.0.7.0
    0040: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 at offse
    0048: 74 20 30 30 30 62 30 32 t 000b02
    0050: 35 30 0d 0a 50..
    <snip>

    Of course your problems are associated with Thunderbird, of which I am
    not having problems (so far).

    Hope this helps a little.

    As for the cure, I'm still open to suggestions? Although I suspect
    something is not quite right in Windows XP.

    Keith (Southend), Oct 4, 2005
  5. paul.m.uk

    gwtc Guest

    no, don't do that, yet. Locate a file on your hard-drive called
    Drwatson.exe. This is Dr Watson. Sometimes it give a better response
    than just the windows thing.

    Now, place this program into the Startup Folder so it will start up
    everytime you start windows. Next, while you're at it, double click
    on it now and start it up. It will reside in the Systray. Now, when
    a crash happens, it will scan your system and make a dignostic report.
    Take a look at the report and come back here and let us know what it
    says.

    gwtc, Oct 4, 2005
  6. paul.m.uk

    Paul Guest

    I found drwatson.exe, and when I ran it the nature of the problem
    changed. When I click on 'Read Mail' or 'New Message' now, my computer
    doesn't shut down but instead Firefox just freezes. It stops responding
    completely, I can't close it even if I try closing it with the Task
    Manager. Even if I then try and restart my computer, windows won't shut
    down because it can't close Firefox, so I have to turn off my computer
    by disconnecting the power supply, which isn't good.

    So I tried again without drwatson, and, sure thing my computer restarts
    whenever I try to launch Thunderbird from Firefox. As the computer is
    switching off, a message appears in a DOS mode:

    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage to your computer.

    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart
    your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

    Run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer.
    In particular, run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched
    memory. Try changing video adapters.

    Disable or remove any newly installed hardware and drivers. Disable or
    remove any newly installed software. If you need to use safe mode to
    remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select
    Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

    Technical Information:

    *** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    assistance.

    Paul, Oct 5, 2005
  7. paul.m.uk

    gwtc Guest

    It sounds like you have some serious problems. A couple of
    suggestions. Click on Start, Run and enter MSINFO32.EXE. I hope your
    version of Windows has this -- its the Microsoft System Information.
    When it comes up, click on Tools, and run the System File Checker.
    When thats done, then run the Version Conflict Manager. When thats
    done, then run the ScanDisk and just do the Standard. A Thorough
    would take a long time. After that is done, run the Registry Checker.
    Any problems would happen here.

    Its a shame that you can't get Dr Watson going. I've found that
    little tool helpful in identifying a lot of problems. I use it lots
    when I have a problem with a program. It usually tells me its
    something else thats the problem and not what I thought.

    gwtc, Oct 5, 2005
  8. paul.m.uk

    Paul Guest

    Thank you very much for your help, I really do appreciate it and I'm
    sorry I couldn't reply to this post sooner.

    I found MSINFO32.EXE, had a quick play with it and did a few scans etc.
    I also downloaded a program called Registry Mechanic, I did a scan with
    that and found over 500 problems with my registry!

    I've come to the conclusion now though that it's the driver I intalled
    for an mp3 player that's causing the problem. When I uninstall this all
    my Mozilla software works perfectly fine. It's a Creative Zen Micro mp3
    player, and I found a new driver on their website, but as soon as I
    installed that my player stopped working so now I've had to send it to
    Creative for a replacement!

    I think the best soultion would be to find some sort of utility that can
    disable the driver, and then I can just enable it temporarily whenever I
    need to add music to/charge my mp3 player. Do you know of anything that
    can do this?

    Paul, Oct 9, 2005