Drivers for a disk drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Drew, Mar 1, 2012.

  1. Drew

    Drew Guest

    On my D975xbx2 motherboard system, I look in device manager under disk
    drives and it lists 4 drives listed below

    Intel SSDSA2CW120G3 AS MY C: DRIVE
    Intel SSDSA2M040G2GC AS MY L: DRIVE
    Seagate ST3160811AS ATA Device
    Seagate ST3160811AS ATA Device

    All these drives are showing with the same Microsoft driver version of
    6.1.7600.16385 dated 6/21/2006.

    Stupid question but is that normal or should I be using a Intel driver here?

    Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I have listed below
    ATA channel 0
    ATA channel 0
    ATA channel 1
    All with the same Microsoft driver version 6.1.7601.17514
    Should it not be a Intel driver?

    Below that is Intel(R)ICH7 Family ultra ATA storage controllers-27df

    That is a Intel driver dated 8/5/2009 with a version 9.1.1.1016 not sure
    about a update.

    Below that is a Intel(R)N10/ICH7 family serial ATA storage controller-27c0

    That is a Intel driver dated 8/5/2009 and version 9.1.1.1016 once again
    not sure about a update

    All these do not seem right as there must be a newer driver but am I
    looking for a storage controller driver or chipset driver? and as for
    the disk drive drivers should there not be a Intel driver?

    Drew, Mar 1, 2012

  2. I only use a vendor's driver with RAID systems that can't see the drives
    without a driver. Otherwise, I prefer the MS built in driver whenever
    possible.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Mar 1, 2012

  3. Dominic Payer, Mar 1, 2012