Driver no longer reads burned cd's when they are loaded BUT still reads manufactured cd's no prob

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JD, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    WinXP
    Nothing new added or subtracted in months hard or soft ware

    I had a fan problem with my vid card about a month ago this just
    started occuring in the last few days.(radeon 9800)

    atapi cd-rw 52xmax burner

    i use it to play the cd's also

    have done the driver updates
    checked burned cds on other machines(work fine)
    ran virus check
    did a system restore back to before this problem started occuring
    popped the lid and checked for loose connections

    i am running out of things to try

    Help!

    tia

    JD, Apr 13, 2005

  2. JD

    riddick Guest

    Buy a cd cleaner disk and spin it up. Lenses are probably dirty.

    riddick, Apr 13, 2005

  3. JD

    PC Guest

    JD

    An Asus A7N266 PC I have displayed similar symptoms.
    Cause turned out to be (a) Chinese capacitors in the power supply letting a
    lot of 'noise' out onto the +5 & +12 volt lines (b) 40 conductor IDE cable
    to the burner.
    The 'fix' was new Power supply and 80 conductor IDE cables to the Burner(s),
    though by the time I'd found the answer one of the burners had gone flakey
    anyway & had to be tossed.

    YMMV

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Apr 13, 2005
  4. JD

    JD Guest

    have one and did that.

    thanks

    JD, Apr 13, 2005
  5. JD

    JD Guest

    in your case the manufactiured cds were read and the burned ones were
    not?

    JD, Apr 13, 2005
  6. JD

    PC Guest

    Yes.

    I could burn a CD without any complaints from the software (Nero) and even
    verify it afterwards. But take it out of the drive and reinsert it and it
    would often be unreadable back in the same drive that had just burnt it (and
    unreadable in other PC's)
    I could sometimes get the disk to a readable state by right clicking on the
    drive and selecting 'properties' 'hardware tab' select the CDR drive
    'properties' 'Volume tab' and click the 'populate' button.

    Pressed disks would usually read fine, though not always with magazine
    disks.

    As I said YMMV, it's what I found for my machine, yours may simply be that
    the drive has gone flakey. Take it out an try it in another PC.
    In my case I knew it had to be something else as I'd already been down the
    'replace the drive' path, and could take the CDR drive out of the machine,
    put it in another machine and it would work just fine.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Apr 14, 2005