    What utility will tell me the full capacity of a drive with multiple
    partitions in XP?

    TIA.

    ian field, Nov 14, 2007

  2. Disk Management?

    Right-click "My Computer"->Manage->Storage->Disk Management

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Nov 15, 2007

  3. ian field

    PeeCee Guest

    Control Panel
    Administative Tools
    Computer Management
    Disk Management..... will show the drives and their capacities.

    P.

    PeeCee, Nov 15, 2007
  4. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Been there, it reports all the individual partitions but not as far as I can
    see the whole raw drive.

    ian field, Nov 15, 2007
  5. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Have I missed a sub-menu that ignores the partitions and reports the size of
    the physical drive?

    ian field, Nov 15, 2007
  6. ian field

    meerkat Guest

    `Partitions` in Disk Management show as drives.

    meerkat, Nov 15, 2007
  7. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Yes I noticed that - I want to confirm the capacity of the whole physical
    drive.

    ian field, Nov 15, 2007
  8. ian field

    meerkat Guest

    Dbl/click on My computer.
    Rt/click on C:/Properties will tell you the size of C:.

    If you know that C: was partitioned, then rt/click the
    other letter/s, and add the totals.

    meerkat, Nov 15, 2007
  9. ian field

    why? Guest

    Formatted or not?
    Haven't we been here before or very near by? Oh well .....

    Belarc Advisor and most likely several of the other usual apps
    mentioned.

    Belarc,
    WDC WD1600BB-00GUA0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n
    WD-WMAL92638240, rev 08.02D08, SMART Status: Healthy

    Or

    My Computer / Manage / Disk Drives / right click om device i.e. WDC
    WD1600BB is 160G then Properties / Volumes / Populate

    Disk 0 Basic Online MBR Capacity 152617MB unallocated 0 reserved 0

    Volumes
    C 1749MB
    D 20003MB
    O 40006MB
    V 20003MB
    X 70857MB

    Storage / Disk Management
    formatted sizes
    Disk 0 (on the grey bit) 149.04GB , right click Properties / Vol / then
    as above.

    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2007
  10. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Any recommendations on how to calculate windows bizarre method of rounding
    the drive size numbers?!

    ian field, Nov 15, 2007
  11. ian field

    Pennywise Guest

    Right click on "my computer", properties - read what the general tab
    has to say.

    Pennywise, Nov 15, 2007
  12. ian field

    Pennywise Guest

    My bad,

    Start | Run <type in>
    MSINFO32
    <enter>

    Storage, Disks

    Pennywise, Nov 15, 2007
  13. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Well obviously - it has partitions!
    I did say so didn't I!
    Not at all - my previous question asked if there are any utils to repair FAT
    errors and mark blad sectors.

    ian field, Nov 15, 2007
  14. ian field

    why? Guest

    Well you did say drive (full capacity), it's the thing partitions are or
    aren't on. Partitions are more just the user data space. I didn't feel
    like working out average MFT space , cluster size differences, System
    Volume information.
    <snip>

    Belarc then, and put this in a spreadsheet, sorted by drive X.

    Local Drive Volumes
    c: (NTFS on drive 0) 1.83 GB 1.35 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 0) 20.97 GB 7.94 GB free
    k: (NTFS on drive 2) 26.21 GB 18.22 GB free
    l: (NTFS on drive 2) 26.21 GB 15.84 GB free
    m: (NTFS on drive 2) 5.24 GB 4.86 GB free
    o: (NTFS on drive 0) 41.95 GB 10.07 GB free
    r: (NTFS on drive 1) 300.06 GB 299.99 GB free
    v: (NTFS on drive 0) 20.97 GB 2.85 GB free
    x: (NTFS on drive 0) 74.30 GB 14.13 GB free
    y: (NTFS on drive 2) 73.40 GB 33.26 GB free

    Me

    why?, Nov 15, 2007
  15. ian field

    ian field Guest