Drive not detected, except in Device Mgr

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Karl Engel, Nov 28, 2006.

  1. Karl Engel

    Karl Engel Guest

    I have an external 120GB drive in a caddy. Had it connected to a laptop
    running Partition Magic & was experimenting with resizing clusters when the
    program & drive stopped responding, had to End Task. Contents of the drive
    not vital & backed up anyway.

    Drive now will not be auto detected with a drive letter/autorun search and
    the pop-up window at all on the laptop via USB or firewire (or show up in My
    Computer), tried several cables & different USB ports, rebooting etc.

    However it IS detected & runs perfectly when connected to my desktop PC -
    the contents are accessible and PMagic reports the cluster size is
    unchanged.

    On the laptop the drive is detected in Device Manager under Disk Drives as
    ST312002 6A USB Device. Uninstalling & reconnecting tells me the device is
    installed and ready for use, but still invisible to My Computer.

    I could accept if I'd stuffed up the drive somehow, but it's frustrating to
    have it working fine on another computer!

    Karl Engel, Nov 28, 2006

  2. Karl Engel wrote:

    You just have to assign a drive letter from the disk management tool
    (management - drive management, right-click and choose a proper drive
    letter).

    Walter Mautner, Nov 28, 2006

  3. Karl Engel

    Karl Engel Guest

    Yay! Thanks muchly. In years of messing I'd never come across this
    management tool.

    Two questions - how do you get to the Computer Management (Local) area
    normally (I used a link from a Help & Support query)?

    This 120GB NTFS drive shows up as 111.78GB Healthy & 12.92GB free space. Now
    I know with formatting and the fact that a GB is really 1024 MB it will
    never read 120 Healthy, but it should be a bit higher than 111 shouldn't it?
    The clusters are 4KB.

    Partition Magic says I can resize the main partition from 114,463.1MB to a
    maximum of 127,680.7MB but when I try and click Finish it says 0 Operations
    Pending and Apply is greyed out.

    I suspect this is a dumb question showing I haven't grasped the maths rather
    than a problem, but shouldn't P Magic know the partition can't be that big
    if it won't do it?

    Karl Engel, Nov 28, 2006
  4. Karl Engel

    Fred Guest

    Quickest way is to right click on "My Computer" Icon on Desktop and select
    Manage from the context menu, then Disk Management.
    My 320GB drives format to 298GB storage space, so yes there is some
    overhead.

    Fred, Nov 28, 2006