Drive letters/positions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by berksposter, Dec 28, 2003.

  1. berksposter

    berksposter Guest

    Hi, I've just got a dvd writer for xmas :)
    I've removed my old cd writer and am wondering what the optimum positions
    are for the three drives i have.

    The motherboard has two connections , primary and secondary, obviously the
    hdd is master on the primary, id it optimum to put the dvd rom as slave on
    the primary and the new dvd writer as master on the secondary?

    Is this the best setup for disc to disc copying etc?

    Also, the drive letters are the wrong way round. I have installed the drives
    as i said above , but the dvd writer is showing in "my comp" as "f:" and
    the dvd rom as "g:" even though the dvd rom is on primary as slave etc etc.

    How do i re-assign the drive letters the right way round? I have uninstalled
    all optical drives, then turned off, then installed them in the sequence dvd
    rom, dvd writer, with a restart in between each but xp reinstalled them as
    g; , then f: !! i thought it would put them back in the correct sequence ,
    ie f: then g: !?

    I have installed the software which came with the dvd writer (a liteon
    ldw-411s) which is my-dvd (which has had some bad write-ups) and it shows
    them in the correct sequence, it seems to be xp which has them the wrong way
    round, how do i fix this?

    I'm using xp home btw and have downloaded new firmware for the drive but
    have not yet installed it.

    Thanks for the help, BP.

    Ps please reply to the newsgroup as email is munged !

    berksposter, Dec 28, 2003

  2. berksposter

    berksposter Guest

    nevermind about the xp giving the wrong drive letter problem, just inserted
    a disk into the dvd writer and opened "my comp" and it showed them with the
    right drive letters!!!

    would still like advice on the optimum positions though.

    berksposter, Dec 28, 2003

  3. berksposter

    °Mike° Guest

    Yes.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Dec 28, 2003
  4. berksposter

    ICee Guest

    [snip]

    The DVD writer should be the master on the secondary IDE port. If you
    have another CD/DVD, it should be slave on the secondary port.
    Leave the hard drive by itself on the primary.

    ICee, Dec 28, 2003
  6. berksposter

    Senti Guest

    °Mike° did mumble with his mouth full...
    ;-)

    Senti, Dec 28, 2003