Drive has missing files, strange??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by js5895, May 4, 2005.

  1. js5895

    js5895 Guest

    Hi,

    In 2003, I left the house for 30 minutes, came back and found 85% of my
    files on my desktop missing, about 500,000 files or more, totaling in
    2GB.
    I've been tying since then to fix the problem automatically because of
    the
    large amount of files. I've tried dozens of programs and nothing
    worked. I'm
    currently running from a second drive now, and I've been programing an
    application, but it's hard and tedious. It has restored some of the
    files, but
    very little. What I've noticed while editing the drive is that the
    entries have
    the normal 0xE5 deleted mark but, the cluster's "high word" has been
    erased or changed so that I can't find the cluster that the entry
    belongs to,
    but if I try all the values that can go in the high word, sometimes I
    find the
    deleted entries cluster, also, when I finally find a deleted directory,
    it has all
    it's entries intact, no 0xE5 marks on them, also after this happed
    three or
    more times scan disk fixed corrupted or invalid entries. I would like
    to know
    of any programs that can maybe fix this, which is hard because all of
    the
    cluster "high word" feilds are scrambled. Also if this was a virus,
    bug, or disk
    problem. This is my last resort, after this I have an application I
    programmed,
    to dump all the damaged cluster's to a big 2GB file. I Greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks, for your help.

    js5895, May 4, 2005

  2. js5895

    Pennywise Guest

    |>Hi,
    |>
    |>In 2003, I left the house for 30 minutes, came back and found 85% of my
    |>files on my desktop missing, about 500,000 files or more, totaling in
    |>2GB.
    |>I've been tying since then to fix the problem automatically because of
    |>the
    |>large amount of files. I've tried dozens of programs and nothing
    |>worked. I'm
    |>currently running from a second drive now, and I've been programing an
    |>application, but it's hard and tedious. It has restored some of the
    |>files, but
    |>very little. What I've noticed while editing the drive is that the
    |>entries have
    |>the normal 0xE5 deleted mark but, the cluster's "high word" has been
    |>erased or changed so that I can't find the cluster that the entry
    |>belongs to,
    |>but if I try all the values that can go in the high word, sometimes I
    |>find the
    |>deleted entries cluster, also, when I finally find a deleted directory,
    |>it has all
    |>it's entries intact, no 0xE5 marks on them, also after this happed
    |>three or
    |>more times scan disk fixed corrupted or invalid entries. I would like
    |>to know
    |>of any programs that can maybe fix this, which is hard because all of
    |>the
    |>cluster "high word" feilds are scrambled. Also if this was a virus,
    |>bug, or disk
    |>problem. This is my last resort, after this I have an application I
    |>programmed,
    |>to dump all the damaged cluster's to a big 2GB file. I Greatly
    |>appreciated.

    Running a Firewall on that thing?

    Download this ISO, it will create a bootable CD, boot with it and see
    if you can make use of it.
    http://download.fluxxnet.com/applications/misc/Hirens.Boot.CD.6/

    Pennywise, May 4, 2005

  3. js5895

    js5895 Guest

    Sorry, I should have added this. When this happened, I had Symantec
    firewall
    and antivirus, with all patches, including the OS(Windows 2000). My
    logs didn't show any
    strange activity. A month later I got a second drive and put a copy of
    Windows 2000 on it, and that's where I'm studying the drive from. The
    old
    drive is bootable, I just don't want to damage the files, by
    overwriting the
    entries, so I stopped using it. Also this happened in "C:\Documents and
    Settings\Administrator\Desktop",
    on the desktop. Ever since then I never put my files in system folders
    and
    I now have a hardware firewall, with the software firewall.

    Thanks, for all the help.

    js5895, May 4, 2005
  4. js5895

    Pennywise Guest

    |>Sorry, I should have added this. When this happened, I had Symantec
    |>firewall
    |>and antivirus, with all patches, including the OS(Windows 2000). My
    |>logs didn't show any
    |>strange activity. A month later I got a second drive and put a copy of
    |>Windows 2000 on it, and that's where I'm studying the drive from. The
    |>old
    |>drive is bootable, I just don't want to damage the files, by
    |>overwriting the
    |>entries, so I stopped using it. Also this happened in "C:\Documents and
    |>Settings\Administrator\Desktop",
    |>on the desktop. Ever since then I never put my files in system folders
    |>and
    |>I now have a hardware firewall, with the software firewall.

    By the way:
    Download this ISO, it will create a bootable CD, boot with it and see
    if you can make use of it.
    http://download.fluxxnet.com/applications/misc/Hirens.Boot.CD.6/

    Has nothing to do with a firewall. The firewall comment was just a
    lead in...

    Pennywise, May 4, 2005
  5. js5895

    Kenny Guest

    Funny, something the same happened me recently and I was considering how to
    word a posting here.
    I have a Maxtor 160GB/7200/8MB, partitioned into 4x40GB, in a USB2 external
    powered enclosure.
    I have (had) a folder on it with a large number of short video clips on it
    and another with a large number of MP3+G (karaoke) files on it.
    The contents of both these folders completely disappeared for no apparent
    reason, the folder icons were still there!
    All other folders/files on that partition and drive seem OK.
    Using a program called [email protected] I was able to recover almost 100% of
    the video files and around 95% of the MP3+G's.
    Using XP/SP2 and regularly updated AVG, Zone Alarm, AdAware etc.
    I am at a loss to explain this and if anyone else can I would be grateful.
    The trial version will let you see if they are recoverable but you will have
    to buy it to fully use it.
    http://www.active-undelete.com/

    Kenny, May 4, 2005