    the bat?

    Cheer,
    PD

    Paul Dalen, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Paul Dalen

    TroyK Guest

    I had the original ELAN and then the ELAN II and now the Digital Rebel (only
    because I couldn't afford the 1Ds :). Over the years I have enjoyed dealing
    with two vendors who have an online service (they have a store as well):
    Henry's and Vistek. Both have great quality and service, but not necessarily
    the best prices (the prices are very good, just not usually as low as the
    lowest prices you can find advertised by some small no-name company
    somewhere online). Personally, I'd rather pay a few bucks more and go to a
    place that has been around a while and has a great customer service record.

    Having said that, I did try one other place that I found through ebay called
    PC-Camera - because their price was sooo much lower than the major stores I
    thought what the heck I'll risk it. I only ordered one thing there, the
    Digital Rebel Accessory kit, but I got it fast and everything was fine (and
    I saved over a $100!!). So while I haven't done enough business there to
    personally recommend it, my one experience was very good.

    Regards,

    Tk

    p.s. Henry's and Vistek also have a large selection of used items. I bought
    a used BP-51 (battery pack/grip) and a 380ex flash and both were in great
    shape.

    TroyK, Jan 8, 2004

  3. There are lost of lenses. Most people recommend you get (beside the very good
    value for money kit lens)
    50mm f/1.8 - 2 f-stops faster than kit lens. One of the sharpest lenses
    you can get. And mounted reverse, it can be used for macro.

    People then buy either:
    Canon 75-300mm or 100-300mm
    Sigma 28-300mm or 28-200mm (Get an APO model with Macro)
    Tamron 28-200mm or 28-300mm (The XR models)

    The 28-135mm Canon with Image Stabilisation is also popular as an
    allround lens.

    remember all lenses have a 1.6x multiplication factor to the
    the focal length, so the 18-55mm is equiv to 29-88mm.

    I have received my Tamron 28-200mm XR, waiting for 50mm and Canon 75-300mm.
    Whatever is in Photoshop. You might want to get Capture One as well
    for the processing of RAW images.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Paul Dalen

    David Guest

    www.bhphotovideo.com

    Best cheap lens: the Canon 50mm f/1.8. Remember your 1.6 crop factor,
    making this effectively an approx 85mmm lens.
    best cheap Canon Short zoom: Canon 28-105
    best Cheap Canon Long zoom: 80-200 f/4.5-5.6 or 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6
    for real wide-angle shots, and remembering the 1.6 crop factor, consider
    Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 for $200.00

    Lots of people like to use UV or haze filters for "lens protection" but I
    think they degrade the image noticeably on the Canon digital SLR's (remember
    your distortions are also magnified 1.6 when you print to comparable sizes).
    Unless you're really rough on your lenses, just keep the caps on and use the
    lens. A circular polarizer is a real handy one, and UV and haze filters
    are nice on sunny and hazy days. As far as the size goes, don't order any
    filters until you know what the diameter of the lens opening will be.

    Dave
    earguy

    David, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Paul Dalen

    Pumpkin King Guest

    The only filter I've found that can't be re-created in software is a
    polarizer.

    -mg/pk

    Pumpkin King, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Paul Dalen

    Paul Dalen Guest

    So all the lenses for my Rebel 2000 will have a 1.6 multiplication factor?
    This must be a property of the camera and not the lens, right?

    Paul Dalen, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Paul Dalen

    PLB49 Guest

    So all the lenses for my Rebel 2000 will have a 1.6 multiplication factor?
    property of the sensor--it is 1/1.6 the size of 35mm neg

    PLB49, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Paul Dalen

    Paul Guest

    So all the lenses for my Rebel 2000 will have a 1.6 multiplication factor?
    All DSLR's are like that. Great if you like telephoto.

    Paul, Jan 9, 2004
  9. Paul Dalen

    leo Guest

    Not true. Spend thousands of dollars on 1Ds and you'll get a true digital
    35mm camera.

    leo, Jan 9, 2004
  10. Paul Dalen

    leo Guest

    Also, with a sub-35mm sensor, the real problem is in wide angle photogaphy.
    Isn't it hard to make a good wide lens and now you need an even wider lens
    for the entry level DSLRs?

    leo, Jan 9, 2004