Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by CD, Sep 16, 2014.

  1. CD

    CD Guest

    Hi all

    I'm with Sky & have been using the "Sky Hub" which to be honest worked
    just fine. With O2 & their router before the buyout I got a downstream
    of around 18500 with about 1500 up. On the Sky hub this has crept up
    to over 20000 down.
    I obtained a Draytek Vigor 2760N to have continued dynamic dns
    support, this is a VDSL router that does ADSL too with a lot of bells
    & whistles.
    Sync speed was a bit slower, back in the 18000s & has now dropped to
    16500.
    Putting the Sky one back gets it back up to speed in no time, so this
    must be a router issue.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    CD

    CD, Sep 16, 2014

  2. CD

    Mark Guest

    At a guess I'd just say some routers have better modems than others.

    Mark, Sep 16, 2014

  3. I now have a router which syncs slower, but stays there much better. Its
    down to signal to noise margins built in (possibly configurable) on the kit.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 16, 2014
  4. My experience suggest some routers run their modems at lower SNR ratios
    to get better headline speeds at the expense of getting a lot of
    retrains and packet corruption.

    My defunct billion would allow meto 'add gain' to the chipset to get
    anything from slow and solid to fast and flaky.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 16, 2014
  5. CD

    Mark Guest

    IIRC modems usually use the target SNR margin given to them by the
    DSLAM. Some devices allow you to override it. I certainly saw
    different routers connecting at different speeds, but with the same
    noise margins, unless they were lying. Higher margins do give greater
    stability.
    I could tweak the SNR on my Netgear ADSL router (with DGteam firmware)
    but could not match the speeds from the 2-wire (BT business hub).

    Mark, Sep 16, 2014
  6. fastest DSL I got was with the cheapest router. TP-LINK. It was also the
    flakiest.

    The Natural Philosopher, Sep 16, 2014
  7. CD

    CD Guest

    Well, it dropped down to 15400ish, Sky router is back on & I'm using
    the changeip homing beacon software to do the updates as I have an
    always on server PC in the garage for it to sit on. The Draytek shall

    CD, Sep 16, 2014
  8. CD

    Graham J Guest

    As others have said, this is probably because different routers set
    different limits for the data rate versus connection reliability.

    Please tell us, for both routers, the:

    Downstream sync speed, SNR Margin, Loop Attenuation, error count

    Upstream sync speed, SNR Margin, Loop Attenuation, error count.

    The Vigor router might only show all these parameters for the downstream
    direction.

    We might then be able to comment further.

    In general, a 20% improvement in download speed will be irrelevant.
    Better reliability will be much more useful.

    Graham J, Sep 16, 2014
  9. CD

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Get the Billion BiPAC 8800NL instead.

    Tweakable SNR on ADSL, handles VDSL as well, but that isn't tweakable
    (VDSL works too differently) although it seems pretty good speed wise
    by default. One of the Ethernet ports can be used to attach a cable
    modem (or any other Ethernet terminated device) if you ever need that
    (FTTP?).
    WiFi N, if you need it (I have a separate wireless access point inside
    my firewall, for the portable stuff which needs it)
    It has pretty much all the bells and whistles as the Draytek, and
    maybe a few more. VDSL Profiles up to 17a (the highest BT are likely
    to support) and vectoring support (which is apparently coming soon,
    and may improve things a bit, especially as cabinets fill up and
    crosstalk becomes more of a limitation).
    Only one of the Ethernet ports is gigabit, but if you are pushing more
    than that through your LAN, you probably have a GBE switch anyway.
    Watch out for the filtering if you ever go to a routed /29 subnet, as
    it'll filter all incoming stuff by default (even with the firewall
    switched off), and you have to add a rule to the filter table to allow
    that which you wish to reach even the public IP addresses on the LAN
    side of the router.
    Very low power consumption (less than either the HG612 OR the TG582n,
    never mind the pair combined, which it what it has replaced) means it
    runs nice and cool, which is helped by the vertical layout which
    allows good airflow through the case and over the board.
    The Web Interface is a bit quirky, but pretty capable, and the device
    works with the excellent HG612 Modem Logging,Monitoring and Graphing
    Software (it has the same chipset as the HG612), written by
    Bald_Eagle1 and with a GUI written by Ronski, both on ThinkBroadband
    and Kitz fora.
    The HG612 needs to be unlocked (which will piss off any support bod
    from OR, if one is ever needed) before you can get any stats or
    measurements from it at all, so in some ways the software works better
    with the 8800 than with it's original target hardware..

    I'm getting 10% improvement (speed testing sites measurements) on the
    Openreach supplied HG612 both up and down (upstream is particularly
    impressive, as I'm getting no interleave at only 59kbps less than my
    max attainable rate), with very low (zero since last resync) error
    rates and lower latency as well, so I'm rather pleased with mine.

    Phil W Lee, Sep 17, 2014
  10. CD

    CD Guest

    Here's the Sky stats, I'm doing this remotely so can't get the Vigor
    stats till later.

    Down:
    18014 kbps (this will go up over the next few days to high 19/low 20)
    Line Attenuation 30.0 dB
    Noise Margin 6.6 dB

    Nothing for errors I can see I do have collision packets which is
    zero.

    Up:
    1213 kbps (will go up to 15ish)
    Line Attenuation 18.2 dB
    Noise Margin 8.8 dB

    CD, Sep 17, 2014
  11. CD

    Mark Guest

    --snip--

    Good value. It's a shame it doesn't have dual-band wifi though but
    that's not a real problem.

    Has anyone compared it with a Draytek 2860n?

    Mark, Sep 17, 2014
  12. Ah, that's interesting, thanks. I'm using a DG834GT with the DGTeam
    firmware and the SNR dialled down to 4dB, but have seen the 2-wire
    routers at car boot sales for a quid or two. Had been tempted but the
    box of used routers I have at home is getting ever fuller...

    Mike Tomlinson, Sep 29, 2014