Drastic difference in bit rates for the same transfer on different interfaces - PIX 515e

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by wongadon, Jan 26, 2005.

  1. wongadon

    wongadon Guest

    Here's the situation:

    I have some large DVD rips (all legal, they're in-house created for
    educational usage) stored on a RAID array. The RAID array is available
    via a smb share from a server with an inside address (behind a 515e).
    This media share is then mounted on each of one lab's computers at
    startup, and the "DVDs" play perfectly.

    The problem is if the same exact method is used on in a lab with
    outside addresses, playback is very choppy.

    Using PDM, I monitored packet and bit rates for the inside interface
    while playback occured from an inside address. The result was ~6
    Packets/Sec, ~33,000 Bits/Sec. Playback of the same section from an
    outside address while monitoring the outsde interface provided
    drastically different results: ~760 Packets/Sec, ~7,000,000 Bits/Sec.

    Any ideas on what would be the cause of this and how I can resolve the
    issue? Any pointers in the right direction would be of great help!
    I'm bamboozled!

    Thanks,
    ~kevin

    wongadon, Jan 26, 2005

  2. :Using PDM, I monitored packet and bit rates for the inside interface
    :while playback occured from an inside address. The result was ~6
    :packets/Sec, ~33,000 Bits/Sec.

    :Any ideas on what would be the cause of this

    Duplex mismatch. Any time you see a transfer rate that low, you
    very likely have a duplex mismatch.

    Walter Roberson, Jan 26, 2005

  3. wongadon

    wongadon Guest

    Walter,

    Thanks for the suggestion, but the first thing I checked for was a
    mismatch.

    The issue isn't with low transfer (I think), but with why when
    transfering data to an outside address there is such a great difference
    in rate. The playback is fine from the inside ("low" transfer rate)
    but stutters very badly from the outside "high" transfer rate).

    http://128.59.77.2/images/graph.jpg

    The huge spikes show the time in which the data was being transfered to
    an outside address, the low points show the baseline and also where the
    same data is transfered to an inside address.

    Am I just looking at the graphs incorrectly? I'm not even sure what I
    should be looking for at this point.

    Thanks again,
    ~kevin

    wongadon, Jan 27, 2005