    After attempting a lot of different things, I uninstalled the whole mess

    Dragon still wants to install, but refuses to install.

    How to I kill this undesired install every time I boot,,,, HELP

    calgaryNW, Jul 10, 2010

  2. calgaryNW

    joevan Guest

    And you are using old McDonalds OS, I assume. Might as well you don't
    seem to know.

    joevan, Jul 10, 2010

  3. calgaryNW

    calgaryNW Guest

    good point, using win XP SP 2

    calgaryNW, Jul 10, 2010
  4. calgaryNW

    joevan Guest

    Do you have a reason not to update your OS. XP is not secure without
    sp 3 and even more updates after that.

    joevan, Jul 11, 2010
  5. calgaryNW

    richard Guest

    One thing I would do is try reinstalling the entire mess as it was
    originally intended to be. Then uninstall using their uninstall program or
    from the control panel.

    richard, Jul 11, 2010
  6. The Real Truth MVP, Jul 11, 2010
  7. calgaryNW

    thanatoid Guest

    There are several ways - the EASIEST would be to find another XP
    machine, and install the program using InCtrl5 - an install
    monitor program from PCMag which may or may not be easy to find.
    I can post it for you if you can't find it.

    While analyzing the install report, note /anything/ (in the
    registry OR in the files added/changed) which makes any
    reference to *any* file ending with exe, scr, js, or any other
    executable (exe or script) you can think of. Make a note of ALL
    of them.

    Clean up the helper computer (easiest way may be to restore a
    full image of the c drive - yes, I know...).

    file manager like Total Commander check if any of the files you
    have noted are anywhere on your machine. Delete them. If they
    won't let you delete, you will have to boot from a diskette/CD
    into either FAT32 of NTFS and do it in DOS or whatever will work
    in NTFS (I have VERY little experience with XP and have never
    had to do what I am describing).

    The, using MS regedit, search for any registry entries you have
    noted and delete them. In THIS case, backing up the registry IS
    essential, since fubar only knows what Dragon has done to it and
    XP may not boot at all after you clean all of Dragon's shit.

    The other ways are just variations on the above - you can
    probably figure it out, like a 2nd install of XP on another
    partition - you DO have other partitions, don't you? - or a
    complete format and reinstall, or a disk image restore, like
    with Acronis - IF you have it already. Otherwise, get it for the
    "next time" - and for generally making life about 5,000% easier.

    Litte pro-genius anti-fire-breathing vermin rant:

    FWIW, I have Kurzweil VoicePad from 1996 and it works just as
    badly/OK as Dragon - which I HAVE tried - except VP cost 10
    dollars and is rock solid in all ways. It IS quite usable if you
    have the patience to train it.

    Whatever dictation program you use, the most important thing is
    the microphone. I happen to use a $200 Beyer unidirectional
    stage microphone. Not even DragonĀ³ (when/if it comes out) will
    work well with a built-in laptop mic or a mic you buy at Office
    Max. And Ray Kurzweil is a genius, while Dragon has had more
    owners than I have fingers - a sure sign of a quality.

    thanatoid, Jul 11, 2010
  8. calgaryNW

    Tony Guest

    But if the guy went to a warez site and got the *real* dragon naturally speaking
    download then it would install and uninstall.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
    the job for potty mouth,

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Jul 11, 2010
  9. calgaryNW

    Tony Guest

    Why would he want to do all that? The nearest warez site will solve his
    problem and maybe some day he'll end up using dragon naturally speaking.
    If he doesn't want to use it he simply uninstalls it.
    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
    day on the job for potty mouth,

    beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Jul 11, 2010
  10. And potentially install who knows what else at the same time. One can
    not trust a warez site.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Jul 11, 2010
  11. calgaryNW

    Tony Guest

    I download from all the warez sites so i know which sites you can trust and which ones
    you can't. He'll just have to do the same thing if he has the time.
    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on the
    job for potty mouth,

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm
    of understandability

    Tony, Jul 12, 2010
  12. calgaryNW

    alan Guest

    thund3rstruck is right --- One cannot trust a warez site. And one cannot
    trust a ridiculous clown who crows about his knowledge of "which sites you
    can trust" and fails to give an example of such (not that the example should
    be trusted either)

    alan, Jul 12, 2010
  13. And how do you know the Feds aren't running the site waiting to bust
    you? Or that that one download is actually what it's advertised to be?

    Warez sites can't be trusted.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Jul 12, 2010
  14. You (in general) never know when a contributor to such a site, or even
    the site owner is gonna slip in a 'surprise'. That, along with the
    potential legal and moral issues, are more than enough to steer clear of
    them.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Jul 12, 2010
  15. calgaryNW

    Aardvark Guest

    Legality rarely has anything to do with morality.

    Aardvark, Jul 12, 2010
  16. Hence my listing them separately. :)

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Jul 13, 2010