Downloading Music

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Krhis, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. Krhis

    Krhis Guest

    Krhis, Aug 9, 2003

  2. If someone connected a hose to your pipe you would notice it right? Then you
    could look where the connection was and trace to the little criminal. Same
    way when you connect to another computer a little light start going wild and
    they look at the cable plugged in the NIC card, X-Ray it and see all the
    users connected. IP address and all.

    Kilo The MagnifiKat, Aug 9, 2003

  3. Krhis

    sethra Guest

    (Krhis) wrote in
    Unless you're using an encrypted connection or proxy, your ISP can see,
    if they choose, *everything* you do online.

    Now, the number of users, the amount of traffic, and privacy and security
    concerns really make this issue moot, unless you're doing something
    illegal, and attract the attention of an entity like the RIAA or BSA.

    Most ISPs do not have the desire or resources to log *downloads*, and
    won't unless given a court order. My ISP logs *uploads* to Usenet and
    keeps these records for approximately two weeks (according to our
    newsmaster). I do not know if they log any other kinds of uploads (p2p,
    ftp, etc). They do not monitor or log Usenet downloads.

    I'd wager that most other ISPs log uploads, at least to Usenet, for a
    given period of time also. They do this to comply with DMCA regulations.

    Consult your ISP to determine their privacy and logging policies.

    sethra, Aug 10, 2003