    * How much battery power? (Right now, I have alkaline batteries)
    * What would happen if the batteries fully discharged in the middle of
    downloading?

    sinister, Sep 13, 2005

  2. sinister

    Jim Townsend Guest

    How much power.. Do you want to know exactly how many amps the
    camera draws from the batteries, or do

    Jim Townsend, Sep 13, 2005

  3. sinister

    Jim Townsend Guest

    We'll try this again without hitting send prematurely :)
    How much power is subjective.. Try download and see how many
    shots you can take vs not downloading images. With alkalines
    it will probably cut into their life noticably..

    Don't use alkalines.. Get yourself a set of NiMh rechargeables and a
    charger.. They will give you a LOT more pictures per set than alkalines
    and you'll save in the long run by not having to buy as many batteries.
    Probably nothing.. The batteries don't fully discharge.. The camera
    senses when they're low and shuts things down in an orderly fashion.

    The worst that can happen is that the last image sent to the computer
    could get corrupted. But the image on the camera will be OK.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 13, 2005
  4. sinister

    ASAAR Guest

    I doubt that anyone will be able to tell you, but you can easily
    figure out what the approximate amount is. But it's more useful to
    determine how long the batteries will last, rather than the power or
    amps used. Start with a pair of fresh batteries and a card full of
    images. Copy all of the images to the computer. Delete from the
    computer's folder and copy again. Repeat as necessary until the
    battery dies. From the time used you can calculate the power or
    current if you assume some capacity for the alkaline AAs. Using
    2,500 mah won't be too far off. If nothing is being written to the
    card in the camera while files are being copied, there should be no
    damage to the card if power fails while copying images to the
    computer. You'll have to trust Canon's software to not do anything
    that stupid. It would be somewhat better to use freshly charged
    NiMH batteries to do power the camera while copying and much better
    to use a card reader to transfer files to the computer. Canon's
    Zoombrowser software is clunky and not really needed.

    ASAAR, Sep 13, 2005
  5. sinister

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Lots of battery eaten up downloading. If it quits during downloading,
    nothing will happen except it will stop where it was, with the one
    pic it was downloading at the time being possibly corrupted (on the
    computer, not on the card)

    Make it a non-issue by getting yourself a set of Nimh's and a charger.
    The nimh batteries cost little more than alkalines, and entry level
    chargers are very inexpensive. You won't be sorry, I promise! :)

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Sep 13, 2005
  6. sinister

    bbford Guest

    If you are downloading images by the camera and usb cable, you may want to
    use an ac power cord. The cord is not included with a new camera.
    I bought a cheap external card reader for downloading images. Its 1/4 of the
    price of canons ac power cord and it works great.

    bbford, Sep 13, 2005
  7. sinister

    Malcolm Guest

    With my Olympus, I always use batteries (rechargeable) to download. Never
    had a problem. I haven't even cosidered an AC power supply!

    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Sep 13, 2005
  8. sinister

    sinister Guest

    [snip]

    Thanks to all for kind, informative replies!

    -S

    sinister, Sep 13, 2005
  9. sinister

    Dave Cohen Guest

    I can tell you this much. I have used an adapter from a portable cd player.
    Downloads images fine but I can't power up the camera in shooting mode.
    Having said that, I never use the adapter except perhaps to show pics on tv.
    For small numbers I just use the NiMH, for many pics I use a card reader.
    Get rid of those alkalines, not good for dgcams.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 13, 2005
  10. sinister

    sinister Guest

    Why not good?
    * Don't last long enough?
    * Variable voltage/current/etc?
    * Leak fluid?

    sinister, Sep 13, 2005
  11. sinister

    tomcas Guest

    Two batteries are pushing it for A520. Before you blow your money on
    alkaline s which can't even come close to the capacity of Nimh buy
    yourself a charger and 2 or 4 nimh batteries. Walmart, Costco, and Big
    lots are good cheap local sources. Don't waste your time with the USB
    cable. Just grab a card reader. They take up less space then the cable
    and may even be a lot faster if your A520 is only USB1(I don't know).
    Officemax use to have the real small Digital Concepts brands free after
    rebate but I haven't seen them advertised like such for a while.

    tomcas, Sep 14, 2005