Downloading camera to computer / best method / my camera keep BREAKING!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Howdy all.

    I've been through THREE digital cameras now because my cameras keep
    breaking from the constant connecting and unplugging of the cable to
    download my pictures.

    Can someone PLEASE recommend a better idea. I am currently looking at
    the Kodak cameras because of the docking stations which don't require
    me to plug anything in. Are there other cameras that offer this?

    OR....another alternative would be any cameras that use a USB plug ON
    THE CAMERA to transfer photos. Does this exist? (Most of them are
    USB on the computer end.) It seems to me that this is FAR less likely
    to break than the complicated plugs with a million tiny pins on most
    cameras. PS...the cameras that broke have all been Toshiba PD series
    cameras. I'm VERY happy with the picture quality, but will not buy
    another until they solve this problem

    THANKS for any and all suggestions. I need another camer QUICKLY!

    Michael, Nov 18, 2003

  2. Michael

    Bob Hatch Guest

    What, you never heard of a card reader?

    I have 2 cameras I've never connected to the computer.

    Bob Hatch, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Michael

    jam Guest

    Of the many reasons I can think of to use a stand-alone card reader
    and avoid tethering your camera, yours beats them all.

    Geez, get a $30 card reader and keep your current camera.

    I'd recommend a multiformat USB reader to hedge your bets against
    future cameras and card types. USB 2.0 is sexy, but USB 1.1 is
    perfectly adequate. My $25+ Delkin USB 1.1 eFilm 6-way reader
    (DDREADER-18) has been flawless, but there are dozens out there to
    choose from. Shop around on the web and then search this goup's posts
    at groups.google.com for user impressions.
    --
    Jeremy McCreary
    Denver, CO

    jam, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Michael

    J.A.G Guest

    Card Reader? Easy

    J.A.G, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Michael

    Joanne Guest

    Add me to the card reader crowd. I've never connected a digicam to my pc,
    I've always had a card reader. I also second the suggestion about getting a
    multi-card reader, mine is a Lexar.

    Joanne, Nov 18, 2003
  6. If you use a camera with very high resolution, I suggest a firewire card
    reader. I have a USB reader, and my wife uses a firewire. Although I have a
    2-processor (1 gig each) computer, and she has an older single processor,
    slower computer, she can download files quicker than I can.

    Phil Stripling, Nov 18, 2003
  7. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    You don't need firewire if your motherboard has a
    USB2.0 port (and even if it doesn't, a USB2.0 card
    can be purchased for $20 or so.) I have a PNY
    multi-format USB2.0 reader which works extremely
    well and only cost me $35 (from Best Buy, I'm sure
    you can get it for even less if you shop around.)
    USB2.0 is reportedly a tad faster than firewire.

    I believe you need Windows XP though, I don't
    think earlier OS's are compatible with USB2.0.

    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 18, 2003
  8. Michael

    Larry Lynch Guest

    USB 2.0 works just fine with Windows 2000
    (a little more stable than XP home)

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct

    Larry Lynch, Nov 18, 2003
  9. Michael

    PhotoMan Guest

    All Windows OS's fron 98 SE and later support USB 2.

    PhotoMan, Nov 18, 2003
  10. Michael

    PhotoMan Guest

    'from' also :)

    PhotoMan, Nov 18, 2003
  11. How can you break your camera by hooking up a cable???

    The only thing I can think of is that you are careless and are forcing the cable
    connectors in at an angle.

    I used to be sober but now I am, Nov 18, 2003
  12. Michael

    Larry Lynch Guest

    I've had some trouble with USB on '98se, not a lot mind you, but enough
    that I wouldn't call it trouble free.

    Inever was SURE the problem was caused by the OS until I upgraded to
    Windows 2k.

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry Lynch, Nov 18, 2003
  13. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    You aren't serious, are you?

    There are card readers that will allow you to simply extract the flash
    card, plug it into the card reader and download the information to the
    computer as if the card were a hard drive. Note that almost all current
    digital cameras have USB plugs (including the Kodak models). Surely you
    are just putting us on with this question, or you have something against
    reading manuals.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 18, 2003
  14. Michael

    Stewy Guest

    The only problem being, that Win98 does not always support card readers.
    I bought a Memory Sick reader. While WinME and Mac OSX will support the
    reader without needing the driver, Win98 requires a driver and if this won't
    load you're well and truly screwed if you camera (like my Sony S-70) refuses
    to accept the Sony download software anymore.

    The only solution would be an upgrade to something beyond Win98 or Mac OS9.

    Stewy, Nov 18, 2003
  15. forget about cameras with built-in memory and switch to flash-cards, smart
    media or the like.

    Yehuda Paradise, Nov 18, 2003
  16. Michael

    Azzz1588 Guest

    A card reader ???

    I actually preffer to plug the camera directly into the computer,
    keeps me from handeling the SM card very often, keeps
    dust out of the card area. I do carry extra cards around, so
    I do change them when I need to.

    But for the most part, I just plug the camera into the 'puter.....

    Azzz1588, Nov 21, 2003
  17. if you handle your memory cards with reasonable gentleness, there's no
    reason they should show any wear and tear even after a hundred cycles or so
    (a LOT of shots...).
    besides, downloading via a card reader is MUCH faster.
    pary

    Yehuda Paradise, Nov 22, 2003