    Is a website ripper copier specific to a browser?

    I guess not, but just in case, is there such a tool for Firefox?

    Thanks.

    John Doe, Mar 15, 2009

  2. no. There are many website copiers out there. The one
    I use is webcopier: http://www.maximumsoft.com/

    Another is winhttrack: http://www.httrack.com/

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 15, 2009

  3. no. There are many website copiers out there. The one

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 15, 2009
  4. John Doe

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to John Doe:

    The Swiss Army knife of webgrabbing tools = wget

    Mike Jones, Mar 15, 2009
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    So far, I have been able to stop it from renaming *.asp files.

    My current problem is getting it to stop corrupting the links to
    those files.

    How do you force it to use the original link properties for copied
    links? It sticks the current folder name to the beginning of links on
    that page.

    For example... from this page...
    http://vocola.net/v2/default.asp
    ....it adds "v2" to all of the links.

    Is there a way to make it replace the domain name
    "http://vocola.net/" with the local folder name, leaving all other
    link properties text the same?

    Thanks.

    John Doe, Mar 20, 2009
  6. I have no idea what you're talking about or how this
    relates to webcopier!

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 20, 2009
  7. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    You must be joking.

    John Doe, Mar 20, 2009
  8. John Doe

    Mike Jones Guest

    Responding to John Doe:

    Go read up on wget. Its the tool you need.

    Mike Jones, Mar 20, 2009
  9. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Yeah, I heard you the first time. But seriously... simply replacing
    the domain with the local folder path in links is not rocket science.

    John Doe, Mar 20, 2009
  10. John Doe

    fatsteve Guest

    I used to use Teleport Ultra to download websites and it would change
    the links to correspond with the local folders. Although I found it
    difficult to use at times it did work once it was setup properly.

    Though I haven't used the program Peter recommended, I would almost bet
    that somewhere in the setup is a way to make it change the links to
    the local folders, after all the one of the main points of downloading
    the website is to be able to browse it locally.

    fatsteve, Mar 21, 2009
  11. John Doe

    Ralph Fox Guest

    They could be relative URLs. Once you put the HTML page in a
    different location, the relative URL is interpreted relative
    to this new location.

    Are you positively sure the downloader is re-writing then links,
    like you appear to be claiming?

    A. Did you check the HTML source code?

    B. Have you tried moving the .html file to a different location
    on your hard drive, and seeing whether the link changes with
    the new location?

    It is not clear whether
    A. you want the downloader to not re-write links at all, leaving
    them as per the original (be it relative or absolute links)
    or
    B. You want the downloader to convert relative links into absolute
    links (re-writing the HTML), so that when you put the .html
    file in a different location the links are not relative to
    the new location.

    Ralph Fox, Mar 21, 2009
  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Since it will be on my hard drive, it will be in a different
    location.
    Of course it is rewriting the links. When you reference a page on your
    hard drive, you cannot use the website link as it was.
    No, I right clicked and selected Properties.
    Why would a link change when I move a file in Windows?
    As stated, I do not want the links to remain precisely the same.
    What I want done is in my last short and concise paragraph.
    The matter is really very simple IMO. As stated above, I want the
    website copier to replace the domain with the local folder and leave
    everything else the way it is in the link properties.

    Maybe it is rocket science, but it seems very simple to me. Have
    the downloader just replace the link domain name with the folder
    name. Is that difficult to understand?

    John Doe, Mar 22, 2009
  13. maybe you're making too much of a big deal out of it

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Mar 22, 2009
  14. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe you are expecting a very
    difficult question and that mindset does not allow you to comprehend
    a simple question.

    John Doe, Mar 22, 2009