    I do not know Cisco much.

    thanks in advance
    Rashid

    Rashid, Jul 19, 2007

  2. Rashid

    Klaus Zerwes Guest

    use a tftp server to up- and download the configs
    and your favorite editor for the rest.

    assume you are using IOS ...

    save config:
    copy running tftp

    reverse way:
    copy tftp: running

    IOS will prompt you vor the IP of the TFTP server and the filename to
    save / upload.

    Klaus

    Klaus Zerwes, Jul 19, 2007

  3. Rashid

    Ian Snowdon Guest

    As I understand it, copying to the running config merges it and the
    copied one together. You need to copy to the startup config which will
    then be overwritten.

    Ian Snowdon, Jul 20, 2007
  4. Rashid

    sek Guest

    Telnet to 2950 with Windows Hyper Terminal and the capture text
    feature to save the config to your pc. Edit it, making sure to remove
    unwanted text. Then use send file feature to upload the config.
    If you are using IOS check the 'configure replace' command which
    doesnot merge configurations but overwrites them.

    hope this helps
    Nikos

    sek, Jul 21, 2007
  5. Rashid

    Arthur Brain Guest

    The way I do it is a have a tftp app on my laptop.

    If I want to copy a config from a switch,
    I run my tftp,
    I patch my laptop into the switch, or telnet to it across the
    network
    ensure I have connectivity,
    then from the switch I do
    wri
    copy run tftp
    <prompts for my laptop's IP address, config name>

    If I want to change a switch config by copying a new config to it
    (rare- much more usual to just edit the existing config, but I've done
    this when changing the switch's role).
    I do the same as above but instead:
    copy tftp start
    <prompts for IP address, config name>
    reload
    - reboot the switch to load up the new config.

    You really can't do this job professionally without a tftp client on
    your laptop.
    Whenever you configure a switch/fw/router or edit one, you MUST tftp
    the config to your laptop afterwards.

    Arthur Brain, Jul 23, 2007