  1. There are some good videos on Channel9 in which the devs discuss some of the
    differences between the current transition from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows and
    the old days during the transition from 16-bit to 32-bit Windows.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 3, 2005

  2. Guest

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    I think I misunderstood some of the finer details:

    (1) Microsoft was smart enough to rename Program Files for 32-bit programs
    to "Program Files (x86)" but they didn't think of naming the new program
    files directory "Program Files (x64)" for people who just might want to dual
    boot off the same partition.

    (2) For some reason, maybe related, immediately after installing WinXP
    32-bit, the bootloader fails to find the 64-bit NTOSKRNL.EXE .. I initially
    would've guessed it was because the 32-bit bootloader (pre-kernel load) was
    incompatible with 64-bit exe's, but realized after switching back to a
    reinstall of x64 edition that again switching to the 32-bit bootloader with
    'FIXBOOT' off the 32-bit cd (lost yet?) would still allow loading of the
    64-bit kernel file.

    The program files, which I misunderstood before, is the big deal though
    regardless of the ntoskrnl.exe error. I might have to go ahead and
    repartition the disk *or* figure out how to make the 32-bit installer see my
    SATA drive and install it there (though brilliant me started moving some
    'program files' installs over there.)

    In other words: I humbly apologize, you all were right, I just have to see
    some things myself to believe them.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 4, 2005

  3. No prob.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Yes, those little details will get you on this one. As we tried to indicate.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 4, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Interesting reading this discussion. Installing x64 was a disapointing
    experience for me. I just desided to go back from x64 to XP pro because there
    is too much incompatible on my system (see the list below). I will try
    installing it next to the x64 installation. I did have good experience doing
    this with win 98 and xp.

    The things that did not work on x64:
    logitec quickcam pro 4000, MS Descktop fingerprint, HP G85 (should work but
    does not), more than 1/2 the ASUS tools, DVD driver AFS2k.sys

    Guest, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Guest

    Patrick Guest

    The ASUS issue is interesting - which tools are you referring to and what
    motherboard?

    Patrick, Dec 6, 2005