    need to install the x86 edition first and then x64 (older OS's should be
    installed before newer), but there are procedures for use if you have
    already installed the newer OS first. First decide what you want to do.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    OK, I don't care about x64 anymore. Even a MS Presales / Tech Support person
    said that if none of my apps run 64 bit or even provide 64-bit drivers for
    WOW64 emulation, there's no benefit, and why bother with a dual boot. Just
    install XP Pro over x64 for now. BUT, when I boot from the CD with a retail
    full XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive. (I have [2] 80GB
    harddrives installed with mirroring). I also tried a third party disk mgmt
    app, which didn't see my C drive. (But of course it's there if I boot from my
    harddrive). Can you help me just make x64 go away and replace it with XP
    Pro? Thank you. Argh.
    --
    Rick

    Guest, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    Patrick Guest

    The reason that "XP Pro copy, it doesn't even see my harddrive"
    does not see your hard drive(s) is because even plain old x86 XP
    needs you to hit F6 and give it the RAID drivers.

    Patrick, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    OK. How do I "give it" the RAID drivers? I boot from the XP CD, hit F6, and
    get the option to select S "to manually specify SCSI adapters...or special
    disk controllers". I insert my disk in A that allegedly contains the drivers.
    It says "the file txtsetup.oem could not be found" and the process stops. I
    have the disk right from the OEM containing the RAID drivers. (I'm also
    trying this on another older computer with SCSI drives, I have the SCSI
    drivers on a floppy. Get the same error message). Thank you.
    --
    Rick

    Guest, Nov 29, 2005
  5. Guest

    Patrick Guest

    First look on the Floppy to be sure that the "txtsetup.oem"
    is indeed there. Also, you should see 2 other files "Disk1" and a
    Readme.txt.
    Then there should be folders as well "AMD64" - Win_XP etc.

    If they are all there - begin the installation again - When you get to
    the part where you hit "S to manually specify" and you get the same error -
    Take the floppy out and re-insert it.

    In fact, put the floppy in before you start installation from the CD.
    You will hear XP check the Floppy Drive before you ever even hit F6.
    and again if you get the same error - take the floppy out and re-insert.
    If that does not work use another - preferable new floppy.
    (Floppy's inherently suck and is why they are on their way out as a means of
    removable media)

    Patrick, Nov 29, 2005
  6. What you said was "wipe the entire hard disk". Disk is physical disk. Drive
    can be many things. Volume or partition is pretty clear and specific. But
    the physical disk is, in this case, two volumes. Only one of them needs to
    be wiped.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 29, 2005
  7. Have to wait for Virtual Server, as Colin points out. Soon. Very soon. But
    VMWare Workstation 5.5 is out and works great. I run both here, on x64
    machines, and like different things about each of them. In my book on Server
    2003 R2, I have a chapter on Virtual Server, but I also suggest VMWare for
    patch management test environments because you can host x64 guest machines.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 29, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Got it. There was no txtsetup.exe on the Seagate installation disk. BUT
    following your suggestion to boot from the floppy, rather than from the XP CD
    and then hitting F6, did the trick. Thanks!
    --
    Rick

    Guest, Nov 30, 2005
  9. Guest

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Why does he have to WIPE his windows partition to install a new copy of
    windows. Is this new to x64 windows, or are you guys complete idiots.

    All you have to do is change the installation path on the new copy of
    windows -- install, for example to C:\WINXP32 instead of C:\WINDOWS. Last
    I checked you have that option during the install process. This way you'll
    have two copies of windows on the same drive.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 1, 2005
  10. Guest

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Why isn't there a "Downgrade" license option :)

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 1, 2005
  11. Guest

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Wow! I can't believe you have ever tried that, it's because people
    aren't idiots that they don't do it!

    It's a disaster, there are common directory names which clash. Do try
    it, but back your data up first - and allow time for a complete install
    from scratch afterwards.

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 1, 2005
  12. Guest

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Wow! I can't believe you have ever tried that, it's because people
    It works fine, I do it all the time and have never had a problem because of
    it. Actually a year and a half ago I did it with my brother-in-law's hard
    drive when his initial copy of windows became corrupt and it's been running
    for a year and a half in C:\WINXP (32-bit version) ever since. No problems.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 1, 2005
  13. I believe that is a Volume Licensing option. I don't think consumers have
    that option.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 1, 2005
  14. It's a disaster with different binaries. Remember, Program Files is for
    64-bit binaries, Program Files (x86) is for 32-bit ones. Do NOT do this with
    64bit and 32bit.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 2, 2005
  15. Guest

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    YOU HAVE TO REINSTALL EVERYTHING IN EACH O.S. If for no other reason than
    the programs have to register itself in the registry.

    But it works OK.

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 2, 2005
  16. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Because they can sell a "FULL' version of XP Pro. :)

    John Barnes, Dec 2, 2005
  17. NO, IT DOES NOT.

    It _might_ if both are 32-bit. It will NOT if one is 64-bit.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 2, 2005
  18. Guest

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    Hence my original question a few levels up in this thread:

    "Is this new to x64 windows"

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 3, 2005
  19. In the sense that the appearance of 64-bit Windows presents new
    possibilities for screwing things up, yes.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 3, 2005
  20. Guest

    Rob Wilkens Guest

    I was thinking of doing this anyway, but I think I'm going to be bold
    tonight. I'm going to install Windows XP 32-bit (perhaps media center
    edition if I can find that disk, since this PC does [or did recently] have a
    compatible tv tuner I think)

    (Bold of lightening, sound of clashing thunder)
    YES!!!!!

    I will do it. And, eh, maybe I'lll let you know how it worked, or otherwise
    maybe I'll have a broken system and have to reistall everything (except, of
    course, for linux).

    -Rob

    Rob Wilkens, Dec 3, 2005