Downgrade from Vista Ultimate 64 bit to 32 bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Matt S, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. Matt S

    Matt S Guest

    Hi all,

    I recently built myself a new PC. I carefully reasearched what kit i
    was going to buy but when it came to the OS i just assumed 64 bit cpu,
    get a 64 bit operating system. I guess I was wrong.

    Apart from not needing a 64 bit OS (no 64 bit apps and only 4GB RAM at
    the mo) I am having loads of problems, most of which are driver
    related.

    I can't get a wireless network to function reliably (about 5% chance
    it will work!). My scaner has no drivers and i am experiencing other
    randoms isdsues as well.

    So due to all this i would like to go from 64 bit to 32 bit.

    However as i built a new pc i bought an OEM copy of Vista ultimate.
    Will my 64 bit OEM product key work with an OEM 32 bit copy? If so
    does anyone know where i can get a copy of the software from? I have
    checked torrents etc but they all seem to be crecked editions etc
    which i do want want to either support or download.

    If my key does work, i take it that it IS legal to download a copy and
    use my LEGAL key to activate it.

    Thanks in advance for any reponse

    Matt S, Jul 6, 2007

  2. Unfortunately, OEM versions of Windows Vista are explicitly 64-bit or
    32-bit. There are no rights to the alternate one. (This is not true of full
    retail copies of Vista Ultimate, which include both DVDs in the package, and
    a single serial number.)

    You'll have to buy a 32-bit version of Vista, I'm afraid. And you should
    re-format your system drive during the install.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 6, 2007

  3. Matt S

    John Barnes Guest

    One of the drawbacks of OEM is that you must determine what version you are
    going to run before you buy it. A few have said that they had the key work
    with the other version. You might have to weight the cost of a new OEM copy
    or the cost of replacing your equipment and software if that is feasible.
    64-bit will be the future so you may want to spend a few extra $ to keep
    your current OS.

    John Barnes, Jul 6, 2007