    from either CD or the Floppy.
    Can boot to DOS/Win98 OK.
    WTF?

    kpg, Jan 30, 2004

  2. kpg

    Consultant Guest

    Start the Recovery console or..
    Start the computer with the boot disks or Windows CDROM
    After the Welcome to Setup dialog box appears, press R to repair, and then
    press C to start Recovery console.
    Choose install Windows and log on as Administrator.

    At the command prompt type "disable Mup.sys"

    "MUP stands for "Multiple UNC Provider" which assists Windows in locating
    resources when more than one redirector is on a machine such as "Microsoft
    Client for Microsoft Networks" and the "Novell Client for Novell Netware".
    When a connection to a server is requested it does not know if the request
    is to a Novell server or an NT server. It will start looking for the server
    with the primary protocol on the primary requestor and then continue looking
    for the server on each protocol bound to each redirector until the server is
    found."

    Restart the computer and all should be well.

    Consultant, Jan 30, 2004

  3. kpg

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    i think this is the first support post by Consultant I hav ever seen?

    <Oink..Oink..Rowdy looks up in the sky...it's a flying piggy!>

    --
    The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
    Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 30, 2004
  4. That's only because you're relatively new here. Consultant helps out quite
    a bit, actually.

    --
    Fris "Sometimes he helps TOO much, then we worry" beeĀ® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Jan 30, 2004
  5. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Thanks for reply. The problem is it won't boot from
    the CD or floppy (all the way) so I can't get to
    recovery console. (every thing progresses ok up
    to just before that point).

    But...

    Replaced cpu and now it works, so the cpu was bad.

    I find it odd that 98 could boot and run on
    the machine as though nothing was wrong.

    Things that make you go hmmmm.

    kpg, Jan 30, 2004
  6. I've been here for a couple years. I've probably seen 100 or so from him.
    You'll notice in the post all the things that were tried before they asked
    for help on a newsgroup. Consultant only helps those who have tried on their
    own and are stuck, as apposed to paiselysky who will give you the answer
    without any attempt to figure it out on your own.

    Politician Spock, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Completely different Kernel.

    Politician Spock, Jan 30, 2004
  8. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Completely different Kernel.

    Yes. So some transistor burned up that is on a path that is
    only used by XP/2K? Obviously so. I guess.

    KP "should have paid more attention in A+ class" G

    kpg, Jan 30, 2004
  9. kpg

    Paul Lynch Guest

    Then you obviously don't know him that well....

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, Jan 30, 2004
  10. kpg

    Paul Lynch Guest

    A damaged CPU that would boot one OS but not another ?!?

    Maybe in an X-Files episode that would happen, but meanwhile back here
    in the real world.....

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, Jan 30, 2004
  11. kpg

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    Okay, so Rowdy is "new" and he sees flying pigs. Now y'all made him cry.
    Happy now?

    :-(

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 30, 2004
  12. kpg

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    when you say CPU, you do mean the black box thingy with fan. not the entire
    motherboard. right?

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 30, 2004
  13. kpg

    Paul Lynch Guest

    Don't cry. Have a beer instead, its Friday.

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, Jan 30, 2004
  14. kpg

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Don't cry. Have a beer instead, its Friday.

    I drink on the job on Fridays.

    Ken Briscoe, Jan 30, 2004
  15. kpg

    kpg Guest

    A damaged CPU that would boot one OS but not another ?!?
    I agree 100%.

    To clarify, 2K froze and then would not boot from HD.
    XP/2K setup (CD or floppy) would not load all the way.
    (floppy asked for all 4 disks, then hung on "Starting Widows",
    the same place CD hung on.") Replaced HD, with one
    formatted with 98, boots ok. But XP/2K stil won't run
    setup.

    So...XP/2K Setup would not run until cpu was replaced but
    98 would boot. I guess setup was trying to do or test something
    on the cpu then hung. But whatever the problem was also
    (i assume) hung 2K while running and prevented 2K from
    booting.

    I don't like it either, but replacing the cpu fixed all.

    kpg, Jan 30, 2004
  16. kpg

    kpg Guest

    when you say CPU, you do mean the black box thingy with fan. not the
    entire
    Yeah. The little thingy with all the litte pins coming out the bottom.

    kpg, Jan 30, 2004
  17. kpg

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    <sniff...sniff...>

    Rowdy sitting on the edge of the sidewalk drinking Bobcat beer "yuk!";
    weaping and softly singing "Who's a Jolly Good Fellow" to the little
    winged pig next to him.

    </sniff...sniff...>

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 30, 2004
  18. kpg

    Consultant Guest

    it's quite simple, really, your old cpu was not compatible with the flux
    capacitor

    Consultant, Jan 30, 2004
  19. kpg

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    I guess I never knew it had transistors?

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 30, 2004
  20. Probably in the HAL.

    Politician Spock, Jan 30, 2004