    whats the best drive to get at the best price thanks for all the help I got
    a generation before the 8.5 gig and want an 8.5 now so I can burn alot more.

    Anthony

    Anthony, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Anthony

    Biz Guest

    It is and has always been referred to as dual layer. That should not be
    confused with dual-sided media, meaning you have to flip it to burn the
    other side....maybe that is what you are seeing?

    Biz, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Anthony

    Tarkus Guest

    I think most, if not all, are calling it double-layer, but dual-layer and
    double-layer are the same thing, so either way you get the same thing.

    As for which is best, that's subjective. I received a Lite-on from
    Newegg.com yesterday ($85 shipped). Don't have any DL discs yet, but
    it's worked great on everything else I've thrown at it. Others have had
    great success with the slightly more inexpensive NECs.
    --
    "Don't touch that please. Your primitive intellect wouldn't understand
    things with alloys and compositions and things with ... molecular

    Now playing: the radio

    Tarkus, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Sony refers to it as Double Layer as you can see here ...
    http://www.sonyburners.com/products/product_detail.php?ID=106871985
    My NEC drive identifies itself as a DVD+R9 Dual Layer drive. So I think it
    really doesn't matter if it called Double Layer or Dual Layer, it just
    depends on who made the drive.

    Quantum Leaper, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Anthony

    Tarkus Guest

    Actually, it looks like they're pushing this new burning technology as
    "double layer," probably in an effort to not confuse it with "dual
    format." Lite-on, Verbatim, and I think Sony and NEC, all call it
    "double layer." I think it's probably a smart way to go.
    --
    "Here lies the body of Mary Lee,
    died at the age of a hundred and three.

    Now playing: the radio

    Tarkus, Jul 28, 2004
  6. It's called dual-layer. Always has been, my copy of The Searchers from
    1997 says "dual-layer." Now that they have consumer-level drives that
    burn dual-layer discs, you may see some companies naming it something
    else, perhaps the term "dual-layer" infringes on some consortium trademark?

    --

    "One must conclude that, contrary to the established and current wisdom,
    a scenario describing the genesis of life on earth by chance and natural

    --Hubert P. Yockey, Journal of Theoretical Biology

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Anthony

    Tarkus Guest

    More likely, it's just too close to "dual format," so it's easy to
    confuse the two for many consumers.

    Tarkus, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Anthony

    Biz Guest

    Yet this post shows how they failed miserably....

    Tarkus, Jul 29, 2004
  10. Anthony

    Biz Guest

    Sry, post wasnt the right word, should have been thread. If there was no
    confusion, this thread wouldnt exist...

    Biz, Jul 29, 2004
  11. What is 'dual format'?

    Hans Schlager, Jul 29, 2004
  12. Anthony

    Tarkus Guest

    Okay, that makes more sense. :)
    --
    "Here lies the body of Mary Lee,
    died at the age of a hundred and three.
    For fifteen years she kept her virginity;
    not a bad record for this vicinity."

    Now playing: "Audioslave Hammerstein 03 - Light My Way"

    Tarkus, Jul 29, 2004
  13. Anthony

    Tarkus Guest

    DVD +-R/+-RW.