Double layer DVD recording

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by aclembarney, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. aclembarney

    aclembarney Guest

    Hi folks,

    I have installed a I/O magic double layer DVD recorder. It came with
    Nero software. The problem is that when I use Nero express it won't
    accept avi and mpg's. It wants it in the ibo format. It says to run
    Nero Vision to convert these files but Nero Vision only allows an
    export of an mpg. After hours of [email protected]#$%^&&* I managed to burn a double
    layer (using Burning ROM) that plays on the computer but not in a
    regular DVD player. Burning ROM only lets me select DVD-UDF. So I
    thought I would recapture the video through Nero Vision but it only
    capturers one second and stops, I couldn't figure that out. If I go
    back to the older Nero I have been using it warns me when I go above
    4.6 GB that I need a DVD9 disk. Even then it says the disk may not be
    usable. The Memorex DL disks I'm using say DVD9 compatible, however the
    burn fails with no real error log. I bought this drive to put boxes of
    tapes onto disks. I'm sure this must work, so any ideas what I'm doing
    wrong.

    Thanks
    Jim

    aclembarney, Dec 28, 2005

  2. aclembarney

    Large Farva Guest

    You might should have just bought a standalone DVD recorder. Hit play, hit
    record, done.

    Large Farva, Dec 28, 2005

  3. aclembarney

    blah Guest

    On 27 Dec 2005 20:26:27 -0800, wrote:

    I've had problems with Memorex DVD+R DL discs as well. Tried two or
    three of them and wasn't able to get my Nero to recognize them. Used
    Verbatim and everything worked fine.

    blah, Dec 28, 2005
  4. aclembarney

    NFord Guest

    I'm beginning to think that dual layer DVD burners
    are just a scam. I bought one a year or so ago and
    have never been able to get it to work for dual DVDs.

    My brother bought a Dell desktop with internal
    dual layer burner 4-5 months ago and neither he
    nor Dell could ever get it to work for burning dual
    DVDs.

    NFord, Dec 29, 2005
  5. aclembarney

    KROKUS12

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    DUAL LAYERS suck

    YEAH, same problem here -- perhaps the dual layer drives just don't work --- I had an existing DVD recorder & thought I would get me one of those nice dual layer recorders -- in one weeks time I had purchased & exchanged 3 different brands -- the first was the HP dual layer with lightscribe ( I believe there were more issues then just the one) the 2nd was an LG brand with lightscribe, the 3rd & latest is a PIONEER brand without lightscribe (I figured if, I got away from the fancy features & just got a basic dual layer drive, that might help) as for the current for now unless I take it back too - is that it does play both DVD & CD's with no problems & it does record on a single layer disc with no problem HOWEVER, when I insert a blank dual layer DVD disc into the unit - the drive changes from DVD-RW to CD: AND I am not sure if, it recognizes the dual layer (dvd) disc -- on all occaisons I did make sure to download & update all firmware for that particular make drive BUT, have not worked -- SO, I am also wondering if there might also be a compatibility issue with the brand of blank disc I am using, which is the VERBATIM brand which, I have never had a problem yet with VERBATIM but, I of course needed to get a pack of the dual layer discs when I bought the drive & the salesman showed me these on sale - however, there may still a problem using these discs ------ HAS any one successfully installed a dual layer dvd drive & found compatible blank discs -- anyone else had this problem??

    OH, for any newcomers or anyone else this may help - forget about tech support from HP & LG -- these companies suck at it - they obviously do NOT give a crap about the consumer - they NEVER had the decency to reply to me!!

    KROKUS12, Jul 9, 2006